Author Topic:  MechCommander Gold - Mech Tonnage Fix v1.0  (Read 732 times)

21 Mar 17

Read 732 times

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

Second mod in what will hopefully be a series of mods I'm releasing over the next couple weeks.

This mod aims to fix the Firestarter, Centurion and Jagermech tonnage error. In game those 'Mechs are listed as 30, 55 and 70 tons respectively when they should be 35, 50 and 65 tons.

This mod slightly changes the balance of these three 'Mechs and their variants:
  • The W-variants of all three 'Mechs is much closer to the A and J
  • The Firestarter has a very minor weapon tweak and slightly more armour
  • The Centurion retains the exact same loadout (since it is canon) but has less armour
  • The Jagermech has more armour but less guns
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B210kcgj-mPLalpkRFltMDAzaEU/view?usp=sharing

To install simply copy the "missions" folder into the DATA folder wherever the game is installed. If you already have a "missions" just copy the individual files but make sure the folder structure remains the same (DATA/missions/profiles/*file*).

Worth noting I only checked to see if these worked correctly in the mechbay and that they didn't crash the game. The balance might be way out of wack. The numbers all seemed reasonable but if you find they are made of paper/adamantium then let me know and I'll fix it.

Hope you guys enjoy.

22 Mar 17

Reply #1

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Hit me up on our discord server. I'd like to coordinate a few things along these lines!

22 Mar 17

Reply #2

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

25 Mar 17

Reply #3

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

One thing I noticed working on pkk files now is that your changes for tonnage may not work for pre assigned mechs or vehicles in start files. Getting this stuff from shop could be possible but I don't know exactly maybe tonnage is hard-coded somewhere or some entries u change are existent in multiple files which all need to be backed up. Otherwise I see high chance to get crashes when game exe tries to synchronize data.
If u want to have ur changes also in start files u need to rewrite Start0.pkk. In its indexes the pre assigned mechs are saved as fit files with its individual stats.

DOWNLOAD the Ultimate RizZen Campaign here:
http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4427.0
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 17 by RizZen »

25 Mar 17

Reply #4

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

Thank you for this. I have noticed that the starting 'Mechs seem to be exempt from the changes I make. I'll go looking for that file you mentioned.

So far I've had no trouble playing the game so I don't think it checks to see that files haven't been changed.

I've also noticed that the same bits of data appear in multiple locations. One will influence the information that is displayed in the Mechbay while the other changes the actual values used in gameplay. It's a weird one.

25 Mar 17

Reply #5

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

Did you only test on original?
Due to the partitionally high amount of enemy vehicles in the user campaigns I see horrible crying players with your changes at the moment. Did you also test your changes on
X-Ray
Exodus
Xenocide
Campaigns?
U know vanilla missions where all in all easy stuff in my eyes, only few nutcracking missions. In my campaign you will play all three usercampaigns similar. U will get Hitman, Blaze, Thunder, Mantis, Dragon, Outlaw, Rebel & Scarab f.e. (14 total) only from campaign missions. Therefore twenty new pilots will be showing up in the store to compensate low pilot count due to campaign length.
(Original missions I still need to rewrite mission data of 27 missions - I will introduce them step by step later when I finished the user merge) - DONE -

DOWNLOAD RizZen´s MCG Darkest Hours v3.0 here:
http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4356.0

25 Mar 17

Reply #6

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

I see no reason why the changes I've made wouldn't transfer to all campaigns. The .exe remains unchanged, as do all the mission files. I haven't changed any of the references, only the files that are being referenced.

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the game was going to crash. I have no idea how my changes will affect difficulty since I've only ever done a couple missions from each user campaign.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 17 by Confused Shelf »

25 Mar 17

Reply #7

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

The last missions of each campaign are most important. They have alot objects and units and are the most critical. I would like to know if it works for whole campaign.
Another thing that comes to my mind: Did you found out how difficulty settings affect your mod?

29 Mar 17

Reply #8

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

Quick tutorial for Sean Lang.

First of all, the starting 'Mechs are defined elsewhere, in one of the PAKs. When I was testing my mod I was using one of the Solo Missions and everything appeared to be working fine. Now I know that the starting Firestarter in the original campaign and the starting Centurion and Jagermech in the expansion will have the vanilla 35, 55 and 70 tons. I'll go looking for them later on, or someone else can make that fix.

In the mean time just sell and repurchase the starting 'Mechs and you'll find they have the corrected tonnage.

ANYWAY! For correcting 'Mechs all the changes you need to make are in MISSION.FST. Extract that and pick the 'Mech you want to alter. You'll find all the 'Mech files in data/missions/profiles.

For this example I'm going to be changing the Firestarter. The Firestarter is PM101xxx so make sure you open all the variants of the 'Mech you want to change.

Under [General] you'll find "f CurTonnage = x" where 'x' is the tonnage. In this case it reads 30. I want to change that to 35. Literally all you need to do is change the 'x' to the desired value and it'll change how much the 'Mech weighs.

HOWEVER, this creates some problems.

If you are increasing the tonnage then it is relatively simple. You've got an extra five tons so you can chose where to utilise the extra tonnage in that same file. Let's say I want an extra 3 tons of armor and 2 tons of ammo (just to keep things simple).

Scrolling further into the file I see [Armor]. "uc Type = x" and "f Tonnage = x" are the two variables in this section. Before you change armor understand that Armor Tonnage and Armor Points are two different things AND are independent of each other.

The former affects how much space a 'Mech has when you are fitting guns to it. If you set it to 100 tons you'll find that you can't add any guns BUT the 'Mech will be no stronger than it was before.

The latter is the actual protection of a 'Mech. You can have a 'Mech with 1 ton of armor giving it loads of space for guns but 1000s of armor points making it nearly invulnerable.

Just because all that is complicated enough, the amount of Armor Points appears to be a multiplier on the Armor Tonnage which I'll explain below.

If your 'Mech has 1 ton of Armor, that gives you 16 Armor Points to spend. If you exceed that, you'll find that the game reads the 'Mech as having more than 1 ton of armor. So referring to our above example, if I try to add three tons of armor but add more than 48 armor points, I'll find that if I remove two tons of weaponry, I won't be able to add them back because the game thinks there are only 1.9314etc tons available.

Here is where "uc Type = x" comes in as well. A type of 0 is Ferro-Fibrous Armor. A type of 1 is standard armor. In MechCommander Ferro-Fibrous Armor gives you a 1.25 modifier to the amount of Armor Points you have available to spend in the 'Mech's .FIT file. So if I want to add 3 tons of armor, I have an extra 60 points to spend, not 48 points as mentioned above.

In other words, modify with care.

Trying to reduce a 'Mech's overall tonnage is more difficult. Presumably you want to balance the loss of both armor and guns, not just x tons of armor with the same guns, or vice versa. You have to remember to calculate how many armor points you need to remove for each ton of armor you are removing, and don't forget to consider armor type.

AND REMEMBER TO DO THIS ON ALL VARIANTS, NOT JUST -A.

Hope this helps.

Just make sure you do some thorough testing. You'll probably find that on many 'Mechs the existing don't fully matchup so you'll need to remove one or two more armor points than you thought. Just subtract a couple at a time until it works.

You don't need to reboot the game each time, just return to the main menu and it will reload the .FIT files.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 17 by Confused Shelf »

30 Mar 17

Reply #9

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

With starting mechs and pkk files I can help now. Saturday I spend whole day working on PKK files. I have made a new version 2.0 of my MCGPKKwork tool including a new exe making it more comfortable editing start files. I could update the mechs in it for ur version. But in order to do it I need your updated *.fit files for units.

30 Mar 17

Reply #10

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

They are linked in their respective threads are they not? Should be a download link at the top of every post.

30 Mar 17

Reply #11

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

Atm I'm doing an artwork patch. But I put ur files on my turntable next!