Author Topic:  MechCommander Gold - Vehicle Rebalance v0.3  (Read 239 times)

29 Mar 17

Read 239 times

Offline Confused Shelf

• Members
  • Rookie

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B210kcgj-mPLSkdTMlhLc3g2S2s/view?usp=sharing

To install, extract the files from the zipped folder and paste the contents into your DATA folder. It will ask to overwrite OBJECTS (make a copy first) and then it should run just fine since I've already handled the folder hierarchy.

Changes:

NEW VEHICLE (Maxim)
Complete armor overhaul
Major speed corrections
Internal Structure now modeled
Minor ammo corrections
Updated descriptions for all vehicles
Unique pilots for all vehicles

Okay so first things first. This update was supposed to take a day or two. Ended up taking longer than the first two releases combined. Probably spent around 12+ hours doing this over the past week

IMPORTANT: Asking the game to load desc.fit from anywhere other than MISSION.FST increases the MechBay load time from around two seconds to six seconds. This is totally unavoidable if I want to edit that file. If you don't like this minor inconvenience then simply delete desc.fit (or move it somewhere else). You'll only ever notice this when you go back to the MechBay at the end of a mission, otherwise everything runs as usual.

I discovered the fantastic Solaris Skunkwerks (and Solaris Armor Werks too) which has a complete list of every 'Mech/Vehicle that has ever had a record sheet printed about it. This program has every bit of information you could ever wish to know about a vehicle, including the distribution of armor points.

Whereas before I was guesstimating what the armor points for a vehicle would be based on what I could find on sarna.net, now I have 100% accurate figures for every vehicle*. Took quite a while to update them all.

Couple of exceptions on the armor front (jesus christ, I've gone full american, I don't even think about spelling it 'armor' now). First of all, in MechCommander all vehicles have a turret. In BattleTech that is not true. To resolve this issue I've set turret armor to match side armor where relevant. This gives those vehicles without turrets a minor (almost insignificant) armor bonus over what they should have but it is the most fair way to go about things. Interestingly, their damage display on the HUD for vehicles without turrets doesn't have a seperate area to display the damage to this region but I've tested it and it is there.

Vehicle speeds have got a complete overhaul. Sarna.net had a mix of cruise speeds and flank speeds listed on the pages. Now I have set every vehicle to travel at its cruise speed. This restores some sense of realism, hovercraft accelerating to stupid speeds in an instant always looked goofy.

The only exception is the Mobile Artillery. It has a cruise speed of 6m/s but the game exe defines "walk speed" as 9m/s. Therefore you can get the vehicle to move faster by doing a regular move order rather than a sprint order. Honestly I think the 6m/s was too slow so I'm not too fussed.

Internal Structure stats has been added to every vehicle. This increases survivability of all vehicles over 10 tons. In the vanilla game the vehicles all had an internal structure of 1, far below what they should have.

You'll see a better descriptions for each vehicle you can buy that more accurately reflect their new canon loadouts. There's also a little fluff squeezed in there where I can.

The player vehicle pilots have all been rebalanced. By default light vehicles have skills of 35, medium 50, heavy 60 and assault 75. Vehicles with sensors have a sensor skill relevant to their purpose. For example an Alacorn has a sensor skill of 35 because it's purpose is not to scout. A Pegasus, even though it is a light vehicle, has a sensor skill of 75 because that is the entire purpose of that vehicle.

NEW VEHICLE: http://i.imgur.com/eL0FtnS.png - I repurposed some unused assets for an Elemental Carrier to create a new vehicle, the Maxim. The assets bear many similarities with the Maxim. Even better, there was a 3050s redesign for which there is no picture so I'm claiming my Maxim is the new model. Even, even better, the new model has a variant designed to carry Battle Armor (an Elemental Carrier if you will), so that's what I'm using for the stats. It won't appear anywhere in game yet but in the future I have plans to do a campaign reworking which will include the vehicle. Alternatively change things yourself, it is PV20400.

Hope you enjoy the changes. Check out the reddit page to see a comparison table: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechCommander/comments/629iql/mechcommander_gold_vehicle_rebalance_v03/

This is the last update for the vehicle balance for now. v1.0 will launch after I've reworked the weapons, which is my next project. I'll then correct the weapons loadouts where needed and launch the final version.

30 Mar 17

Reply #1

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

Great work!

Am I allowed to build it into my mod?
I would like to put it in bundle as optional mod/patch. By the way that vehicle you speak of exists. It is used sometimes in the user campaign missions.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 17 by RizZen »