Author Topic:  Mechcommander Gold Modders' Corner  (Read 24876 times)

10 Sep 13

Reply #15

Offline punpusher

• Regular

Hey guys,

Been working with Phil on that GUI tool for extracting, modifying, and packaging files in MCG (yes, I know it's way overdue). The extraction/packaging part is mostly complete - just running through debugging/testing - and I hope to have that up within a week or two at the most. More will come after that.

If you're a programmer and are interested in helping in your spare time, let Phil or me know - we'd love the help. If you know how to mess around with old sprite animation files, that's even better - it'd be awesome to add new 'Mechs to the game if we can.

Thanks!

22 Sep 13

Reply #16

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

I'd be glad to chip in, I'm actually working on a similar, albeit more-limited program myself in my spare time just cause I wanted to sharpen my skills back up..  Just drop me a private message, email, message me on Skype, whatever's easiest for you two, and I'd be more than happy to contribute my time where and how possible.  Coding, art/graphics, in-game content like campaigns (though I haven't touched the editor in six years or more, yikes!), it's all fair game.  Currently researching the animation file format as well and might potentially have at least an inkling of where to start, just educated guesses of course, nothing more..but I'm happy to discuss my findings with you and your team.

23 Sep 13

Reply #17

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

I'd be glad to chip in, I'm actually working on a similar, albeit more-limited program myself in my spare time just cause I wanted to sharpen my skills back up..  Just drop me a private message, email, message me on Skype, whatever's easiest for you two, and I'd be more than happy to contribute my time where and how possible.  Coding, art/graphics, in-game content like campaigns (though I haven't touched the editor in six years or more, yikes!), it's all fair game.  Currently researching the animation file format as well and might potentially have at least an inkling of where to start, just educated guesses of course, nothing more..but I'm happy to discuss my findings with you and your team.

Awesome! I know Punpusher could use some assistance!

11 Oct 13

Reply #18

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Allot of progress coming along on this, more to come!

12 Oct 13

Reply #19

Offline scrivener07

• Rookie

Thats so cool people still care about this old game. I didnt see this thread before replying here.
Im also working on creating gui tools for mcx. I just started this weekend after talking to Alex. Id love to help out with whatever you got.

12 Oct 13

Reply #20

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

Thats so cool people still care about this old game. I didnt see this thread before replying here.
Im also working on creating gui tools for mcx. I just started this weekend after talking to Alex. Id love to help out with whatever you got.

I'd say hit up Sean, myself, Pun, or Oskar again and find out what's been done so far, no sense reinventing the wheel with these tools really.  It's great to see more people interested but at the same time if we don't all communicate we're going to end up with a lot of overlap on the finished products, especially because everyone seems to start with file extraction/creation tools.

13 Oct 13

Reply #21

Offline scrivener07

• Rookie

Hey guys, my emails CC is trolling me so Im not sure if my email was properly received. So Ill just leave this here for now https://sites.google.com/site/scrivenermods/home

13 Oct 13

Reply #22

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

Hey guys, my emails CC is trolling me so Im not sure if my email was properly received. So Ill just leave this here for now https://sites.google.com/site/scrivenermods/home
Pretty sure your email hit all of us, eventually :)  I saw myself and the other two devs in the forward at least.

17 Oct 13

Reply #23

Offline 1stBEAST

• Rookie

hey there,
i hope you guys can implement the possibility to change the color´s of the mechs in MC
because i cant see the blue-yellow anymore :-D

looking forward to the modding progress :-)

17 Oct 13

Reply #24

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

hey there,
i hope you guys can implement the possibility to change the color´s of the mechs in MC
because i cant see the blue-yellow anymore :-D

looking forward to the modding progress :-)

Looking into this in my spare time, believe it's doable fairly easily.  Didn't think about color-blind players/etc, that is kind of a nasty combo for some people with vision problems.

17 Oct 13

Reply #25

Offline 1stBEAST

• Rookie

you are right.
i´m not colorblind^^ but i didn´t like the colors. was a huge plus in MC2 that it was possible to change the colors.

if i understand it correctly it is also possible to specifi which weapon will be mounted on the arms an so on? this will also be very nice to have.

some years ago i modded the start0.pkk file so i can chose every mech, vehicle and weapon from the beginning. but i failed in doing so for pilots and also failed to add my own pilot(newly created)

will you guys add a graphic interface to make it easier?

19 Oct 13

Reply #26

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

you are right.
i´m not colorblind^^ but i didn´t like the colors. was a huge plus in MC2 that it was possible to change the colors.

if i understand it correctly it is also possible to specifi which weapon will be mounted on the arms an so on? this will also be very nice to have.

some years ago i modded the start0.pkk file so i can chose every mech, vehicle and weapon from the beginning. but i failed in doing so for pilots and also failed to add my own pilot(newly created)

will you guys add a graphic interface to make it easier?

Can't speak in any official capacity as I'm just a dev, but the plan as it stands is to have a GUI for editing pretty much any and everything.  While it's possible to specify equipment locations outside of the game, we still haven't decided the exact route to take on that front.

As far as start0.pkk, there'll be a tool to play with those too if I have anything to say about it..but again, I'm just a dev, I don't have final say in what gets released and what doesn't.

19 Oct 13

Reply #27

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

A ton of information to come.. needless to say this will open the doors for Mechcommander Gold to become Mechcommander 3..

22 Oct 13

Reply #28

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Just tested one of the latest tools for a file called 'Combass.csv' it controls all equipment & weapon information.

This tool allows us to quickly change values based on a simple GUI. This along with many other tools will speed up the modding process for EVERYONE.

Our teams goal will be to re-create the original & expansion campaigns in a seemless manner, no stopping the game, losing all your mechs, mechwarriors, equipment etc... nope, you will be able to keep playing as if it was one big giant storyline!

23 Oct 13

Reply #29

Offline sinus

• Rookie

Sean, is there any way to alter the visuals in the game? E.g. add new 'mechs or vechicles?
I remember reading somewhere that it was very complicated as Microprose used prerendered 3d meshes and converted them into sprites with separate animations for legs/torso/arms etc.
I'd like to know if it's possible at all. I do some 3d modelling and I'd like to take a stab at it.

Your work on the editing tools is much appreciated :)