Author Topic:  Mechcommander Gold Modders' Corner  (Read 25974 times)

23 Oct 13

Reply #30

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

Sean, is there any way to alter the visuals in the game? E.g. add new 'mechs or vechicles?
I remember reading somewhere that it was very complicated as Microprose used prerendered 3d meshes and converted them into sprites with separate animations for legs/torso/arms etc.
I'd like to know if it's possible at all. I do some 3d modelling and I'd like to take a stab at it.

Your work on the editing tools is much appreciated :)

As of yet we have no new information on the sprite format used by the game, unfortunately.  Also, the mechs/vehicles/etc are in some ways hardcoded into the game executable, making adding anything a very..interesting..proposal.  If we knew the sprite format, we could at least change/replace things, but at least as far as my plate of work goes, it's low on the list.  Maybe there'll be a breakthrough, but right now the focus is on changing what we already know how to.

If anyone out there does know something about the sprite format, please feel free to drop someone on the team a message or just post it here, as the terrain appears to be the same format..and I for one wouldn't mind being able to edit the tilesets.  Also, what we DO know is they are not Autodesk Animator files, I've tried and failed to load the sprites with every known version of that application.

24 Oct 13

Reply #31

Offline sinus

• Rookie

Tigress, thank you very much for your prompt answer :)

I have been interested in editing MCG for years since its release and hoped that maybe now, as the game went freeware, there would be a bit more information released pertaining to the file formats used. I (and, i'm sure, everyone who loves MCG) greatly appreciate, all your efforts to make the game more customizable/enjoyable.

I found some animated 'mech GIFs on the web and I thought that maybe finally there is a way to extract these types of files from the game somehow. 

Here are some of the mech animations (were they released at some point by Microprose as GIFs?):
http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/mcmechs/mechw0.html
http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/mcmechs/mechw1.html

Maybe the way to go is to take a look at the mission editor files? I have absolutely no idea about programming or editing binaries so forgive me if I'm talking nonsense.

24 Oct 13

Reply #32

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

Thank Sean Lang for being the visionary and driving force behind the project, I'm just in the trenches writing code.

I've seen those same gifs, I think they were probably released by MP/FASA as part of one of those 'fan-site packs' that used to be so popular back in the day.  Nobody I've spoken with really knows the origins and I haven't done a whole lot of looking myself, but I remember seeing them on quite a few MC fan sites so I'd bet dollars to donuts that they were promo material released by the publisher/developer.

24 Oct 13

Reply #33

Offline sinus

• Rookie

Sean is the man! But all of you deserve recognition :)

You're probably right about those animation files. Oh well, maybe someday we'll know the secret behind the animated sprite files. I'd really love to get my hands on the graphics and edit the hell out of them.

BTW. Have you seen this image?:
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/files/palettex_567.png

Some dude managed to extract it from the game files. Most people noticed the TIE fighter sprite, but there is also something else - can you identify the mech type depicted just above the Cougar? I don't think I saw this one in the game.

24 Oct 13

Reply #34

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

Some dude managed to extract it from the game files. Most people noticed the TIE fighter sprite, but there is also something else - can you identify the mech type depicted just above the Cougar? I don't think I saw this one in the game.

Pretty sure it's the MC2 Razorback.  There's a lot of stuff in MC2 that was cut from MCG, and by extension, a lot of MC2 is based on the MCG code/assets/etc.  Of course the most important thing, the sprites, they changed out for 3D models in MC2 so we can't just look at the code MS released to figure out the sprites in MCG..that'd be too easy.  But the MC2 shared-source release has come in handy for a few things so far.

24 Oct 13

Reply #35

Offline sinus

• Rookie

Yeah, looks like it's a razorback. Damn it would be fun to have it in MCG. But as long as there's anything that we could modify, like mechcolours etc. it still would be awesome :D

30 Oct 13

Reply #36

Offline Sophos

• Rookie

I'm not familiar with Mech Commander, but I work in game development and always enjoy fun modding projects. If yall need any help let me know, not a programmer but have a fair bit of scripting experience.
 -Barret

30 Oct 13

Reply #37

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

I'm not familiar with Mech Commander, but I work in game development and always enjoy fun modding projects. If yall need any help let me know, not a programmer but have a fair bit of scripting experience.
 -Barret

That'll come in handy for redoing the campaigns, if you can sit down with one of us and look at the ABL scripting attached to the existing missions, maybe pick up the syntax, would be nice to have someone besides me who knows it.

31 Oct 13

Reply #38

Offline tinman

• Regular

Just had the opportunity to listen to podcast #93 and all the stuff you can do with Mechcommander sounds great.  Here's a question regarding that.  One thing that no Battletech/Mechwarrior game I'm aware of has ever done is to capture what makes omnimechs special, that ability to reconfigure them for different types of combat situations.  In Mechcommander every mech is essentially an omnimech.  You can strip their weapons and put on whatever you want within the limits of the mech's payload.  Is there a way that you can lock the weapon loads of mechs that are not omnimechs, like the commando or the hunchback?  I realize that everyone likes to be able to customize their mechs, me included, but this would give the clan omni's that you salvage even more appeal as you could customize them while the others you couldn't.

31 Oct 13

Reply #39

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Just had the opportunity to listen to podcast #93 and all the stuff you can do with Mechcommander sounds great.  Here's a question regarding that.  One thing that no Battletech/Mechwarrior game I'm aware of has ever done is to capture what makes omnimechs special, that ability to reconfigure them for different types of combat situations.  In Mechcommander every mech is essentially an omnimech.  You can strip their weapons and put on whatever you want within the limits of the mech's payload.  Is there a way that you can lock the weapon loads of mechs that are not omnimechs, like the commando or the hunchback?  I realize that everyone likes to be able to customize their mechs, me included, but this would give the clan omni's that you salvage even more appeal as you could customize them while the others you couldn't.

I don't believe this is possible at all unfortunately. We are able to create new load-outs, and make each variant unique in armor, speed, internal structure, armament etc... but once the player removes weapons, it is out of our hands.

That being said, we are going to be re-balancing weapons, so that boating x weapon isn't always the best solution etc.

31 Oct 13

Reply #40

Offline Sophos

• Rookie

That'll come in handy for redoing the campaigns, if you can sit down with one of us and look at the ABL scripting attached to the existing missions, maybe pick up the syntax, would be nice to have someone besides me who knows it.

Sure, I'd be happy to take a look at and see what I can figure out. Just let me know what the best way to get started is.

Thanks,
Barret

5 Nov 13

Reply #41

Offline tinman

• Regular

I don't believe this is possible at all unfortunately. We are able to create new load-outs, and make each variant unique in armor, speed, internal structure, armament etc... but once the player removes weapons, it is out of our hands.

That being said, we are going to be re-balancing weapons, so that boating x weapon isn't always the best solution etc.

I didn't think it would be, at least without the source code (I'm assuming you're modding files).  Sounds like a great project.  Will look forward to trying things out when you get them ready.

10 Nov 13

Reply #42

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Just a heads up, a huge amount of work is almost done behind the scenes. I'll be updating the OP with said tools to download and play with, along with other information.

10 Nov 13

Reply #43

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

Just a heads up, a huge amount of work is almost done behind the scenes. I'll be updating the OP with said tools to download and play with, along with other information.
Skype me later tonight if you get a chance, want to check up with you since it sounds like you had time to test the latest tools.

14 Nov 13

Reply #44

Offline MDradhi

• Rookie

Hey guys, im new here. I've been searching on how to extract the MCG object2.pak file. i tried downloading the cmunsta's pak extract tool but all i get is a message saying wrong version and there is an updated version of the pak extract. but i cant find it. im using windows 8 by the way. Anyone know how to get it done? im trying to make it the game weapons some sort like mechwarrior online. im not a modder, just looking to have some fun of my own.