Author Topic:  Mechcommander Gold Modders' Corner  (Read 25973 times)

3 Sep 14

Reply #75

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Hiya folks, interesting to see that there are still some interest in MCG modding and that my guides may still be useful. Anyway, just popped in to say I'm happy the guides (and tools) have a second home.

@SeanLang:
I noticed that you are missing my PAK file creation tool in your list. Also, would it be possible to provide the source files as well (or at least a link to the old site, it's still there).

Those command line tools were just quick things I made for myself and are far from great code, but can still provide a basis for other folk interested in making better tools (though that control panel is interesting, unfortunately I can't run it as I use Linux pretty much exclusively). Anyway, I consider all of the tool code on my site to be public domain so do whatever you like with it.

Other notes:
My site also provides a few icons for pasting into logistic screen maps (if anyone is interested in them), and there is a (apparently still valid) link to the SmkTools needed for MCG video conversion.

Finally, the correct font use don all the MCG screens is Arena Condensed Bold Italic (it can be downloaded at http://www.fontpalace.com/font-details/Arena+Condensed+Bold+Italic/.

Please check your PM/Email. I would love to chat with you in depth!

9 Sep 14

Reply #76

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Updated OP - As there has been some changes to the overall mod of this. I'll be posting a modded version for others to play after some testing! Stay tuned!

26 Sep 14

Reply #77

Offline Killashnikov

• Rookie

The videos look brilliant! I missed this game and look forward to seeing this mod.

9 Nov 14

Reply #78

Offline slickrcbd

• Rookie

I just noticed that the last edit to the first post removed A LOT of valuable information on here. Including the link to some of the modding tools.
I was looking for the link because the tools kept crashing on me on my old XP machine and I was hoping to redownload them to find a missing DLL or whatever.

The set of tools that you start with the "Control panel" that lets you edit weapons, mech armor and weapon placement, gamesys, and mechwarriors.

It also removed the "what can be modded" section.

9 Jan 15

Reply #79

Offline Tigress

• Rookie

I can see I've missed a great deal here.  Curse moving halfway across the country and not having a place of your own to move into right away.  Sean, if you're still watching this, shoot me a PM or Skype me with anything you deem I should know, if there's any work still ongoing in this area, etc.

25 Mar 16

Reply #80

Offline Battleclad

• Members
  • Rookie

- Remaking Timberwolf's mod.pdf - HERE

I don't suppose there's any chance of someone uploading a copy of the modded file? Or, preferably, a version that just adds the expansion mechs? Can't get at my old system and my virtual machine is acting up.

EDIT: Also as it was bugging me have a "HD" icon for MCG, just cut the 2 off the MC2 icon (16x16 - 96x96) but nicer looking nonetheless.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 16 by Battleclad »

28 Sep 16

Reply #81

Offline 045

• Members
  • Rookie

Where does one go to donwload the Control Panel?

21 Nov 16

Reply #82

Offline zocom7

• Members
  • Rookie

I have been starting on trying to mod Mech Commander Gold, but it wasn't easy. Although I got all the special tools and put where I supposed to put them. There are two questions I am concerned about and I doubt if this was fixed or not.

1) The limitation of units in a mission. Although 45 is the limit, was there a way to extend the limit to 100, infinite or so? The modified TedIds.csv that mentioned to increase the number of units of a map in the Mission Editor did not work, but it did change the units and structures organization areas.

2) Some people managed to edit the original mission maps of Mech Commander and its expansion pack. How can this be done? The mission editor cannot load SP maps with mission data unless you make one. I only wanted to increase the number of units on those maps just to give in a challenge while maintaining the same settings. Weren't the mission map files with mission data in Mission.fst or were they in Terrain.fst?

4 Dec 16

Reply #83

Offline slickrcbd

• Rookie

I have a batch file I donwloaded from somewhere on 7/30/2014 called "mission extract" that can extract the missions from mission.fst.
Sorry, it has been two years and I can't recall where I got it. You need fstextract to use it.

If I knew where it came from, I'd just post the link. Credit goes to the original author.

I know that with this, I was able to mod the first mission to give me two clan pulse lasers instead of inner sphere lasers. I intended to mod all the missions to give you stuff you can't just buy from the various containers you capture, but never got around to it.

15 Dec 16

Reply #84

Offline IronArthur

• Rookie

I have a batch file I donwloaded from somewhere on 7/30/2014 called "mission extract" that can extract the missions from mission.fst.
Sorry, it has been two years and I can't recall where I got it. You need fstextract to use it.

If I knew where it came from, I'd just post the link. Credit goes to the original author.

I know that with this, I was able to mod the first mission to give me two clan pulse lasers instead of inner sphere lasers. I intended to mod all the missions to give you stuff you can't just buy from the various containers you capture, but never got around to it.

Probably from here http://www.thegameengine.org/mechcommander-gold/ or https://github.com/oseparovic/MCGExtracted/ (same author)

12 Jun 17

Reply #85

Offline RizZen

• Members
  • Veteran

RizZ´s Modding Content
cMunstas ABL (*.abl/*.abi/*.fit files) scripting guide
I would like to remind you of that guide cMunsta made long ago. The reason is the mod I'm working on. All missions will get more comfortable after the abl scripting part.
The game has an abl scripting library. This includes all orders and codes you can do and use for editing missions. I will upload the library soon and build a thread collection of usable abl scripting codes. What follows next will be an upload of all 42 original missions for MCG. I have separated them from mission.fst and put each mission with all files it's referring or using in separate folders. If you would like to help modding or doing changes on missions on your own this will be the only way possible to do.

Most people who wanna mod try to get editor running... - well editor only helps me for getting coordinates from raw empty maps only. All missions I have created for my ultimate mod I did with editor / extender and extractor tools. Each mission I recreate I did so far as these elements allow. Means none of my maps contain more than 45 enemy units for example cause editor can't handle more. Same with mission objectives or AI acting. These are things that need to be abl scripted.
Won't be a problem to do so when I uploaded the separated mission source soon and I appreciate each assistance making abl modding faster to a complete remastered game edition.

MCG in better modding conditions: By creating MCG-DH-v3.0, the ultimate XXL campaigns & updating all game files related... - I have built a backbone that can be edited like newer versions (mc2/omnimech f.e.). All what needs to be done is abl scripting the parts of missions editor and extender can't handle or create. I help by offering all files and knowledge I've got to make missions 100% suiting fine when finished and will help. Even if it's only opening editor and extracting coordinates you might need to give units way paths or building ids to give them orders to destroy certain objects for example.
Although I will hand out more information about how to abl scripting / editing missions manually. Such like telling you how files get referred to each other and how you introduce patrols or Lance's for example.

Original Missions Downloads
Original Missions - vAlpha - Original files
ORIGINAL extracted and seperated files from 42 original missions.
Original Missions - v1.0-2.0d
Recreated by RizZen - extracted and seperated, working fine for any campaign modding after finishing *.abl scripting part of entire MCG original missions.
Original Missions - 100% recreated (v3.0) - 42 total
This last file contains the most wanted stuff for MechCommander Modders. Each original mission as single *.fst files for free single player campaign and solo mission modding. Two decades several  modders tried or asked for having files exactly in the conditions like I have recreated them now. Together with extracted files and cMunsta tools & knowledge you can now use and mod all vanilla campaign missions what was nearly impossible before.

Important MechCommander Modding
Threads, Tools & Milestones

- MCShell by StaticZ
- MechCommander Sprites - Source Milestone by Bestia Infernali
- Object.PAK 2 content by Bestia Infernali
- Mech Paint schemes by Bestia Infernali
- Weapon Effects by Bestia Infernali
- Mech Data Modding by Bestia Infernali
- CMunsta Tools & *.fst editing video tutorial by SeanLang
- allcomp.fit / combpas.csv / desc.fit / objsort.rsp files Thread by SeanLang
- Weapon Balance by SeanLeang
- Modding Tool Suggestion & Error reports by SeanLang