Author Topic:  No Guts No Galaxy Podcast #159: Balance  (Read 422 times)

4 May 17

Read 422 times

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

« Last Edit: 18 Aug 17 by Seth »

5 May 17

Reply #1

Offline kageru

• Elite

Thanks again for a good discussion ... my 2CB ...

- Clan vs. IS balance in FP (with the tonnage difference) is about right.

- Mech-per-mech, Clan tech is OP for pretty much all the reasons mentioned.

- No sized hard points.

- I like the idea of engine crits meaning different things for STD, LFE, and XL engines as a means of balancing between them.

- I like the idea of weapons goign straight unless you have a locked target.  It would make poptarting and long-range sniping more difficult and would increase the value of scouting.  As long as the target lock only takes a small amount of time, no problem.

- No more buckets.  Splitting a match-maker-governed queue into "try hard" and "scrub" (or whatever) would not work.  Wait times would be ridiculous (OBTW - 5 minutes is QUICK in my time zone) and try hards would end up farming in the scrub queue anyway.

- 2-4-Man Groups would be awesome for the quality of matches.  (And limit the tonnage per group to 250 for 4, 200 for 3, and 150 for 2 to start.)

- Split PSR into more tiers ... possibly "Green" (for the first 100 or so matches), "Elite Tier 1-5" for the top 15%, "Veteran Tier 1-5" for the next 45%, "Regular Tier 1-5" for the bottom 40% ... match maker starts at a specific Tier +/- 1, and then opens the aperture by +/- 1 every minute or so until you have a match.

- Battle Value for 'mechs is an interesting idea ... however, there really is no need to take every factor of the 'mech into account ... just use the variant's win-loss rate, put them on a bell curve, and then give the player a Tier adjustment up to 2 tiers up or down to apply to the match maker.  I guess you could also add an adjustment for weapon combinations.  Adding a Tier adjustment for experience in a 'mech is an interesting idea ... possibly as much as two Tiers down for 0-30 skill nodes selected, one Tier for 31-60 nodes, and zero adjustment for 61+ nodes.

- 8v8, please, in solo and group queue.  12v12 in Faction Play.

15 May 17

Reply #2

Offline sikosis

• Members
  • Rookie

Great discussion. Really liking the new format with community real-time responses. Great guests so far, keep 'em coming. I like seeing and hearing about MWO pilots.

I'm one of those players who has put in over 350+ hours but is still at the bottom of Tier 5. I didn't know what the PSR was when I started playing, I was just having fun. It was only when I learned about it, it was too low to do anything about. Just means for me, that Solo queue is always with low Tier players. Group queue always seems to be against anyone no matter what their Tier is.

I guess I was also shocked how everyone kept talking up the KDK-3 ... I have that mech and it performed awfully for me. 2-3 shots in the chest and it would fall over, so I cursed it and stopped using it. So, it was interesting to hear your comments on how awesome it is. That's MWO for ya.

16 May 17

Reply #3

Offline Seth

• Web Team
  • Veteran

I guess I was also shocked how everyone kept talking up the KDK-3 ... I have that mech and it performed awfully for me. 2-3 shots in the chest and it would fall over, so I cursed it and stopped using it. So, it was interesting to hear your comments on how awesome it is. That's MWO for ya.
The KDK-3 is good for a couple of reasons. Those ballistic hardpoints are really high up on the side torsos, so if you can see it, you can shoot it without having to expose too much of yourself. That's great when you have Gauss rifles up there (stick a couple of machine guns in those sections first to get the Gausses even higher). Add in a couple of ER PPCs in one of the arms, as you have a 50 points of pin point damage and an extra 10 splash to boot. Dakka builds with double UAC 5s and 10s can lay down a lot of damage too. The high engine rating will still give it respectable speed even after the twist speed is divorced from the engine size.

3 Jun 17

Reply #4

Offline kageru

• Elite

MWO: Threekayid, Skill Tree, June, July and beyond roadmap posted, Battle Tech: Backer Beta

Y'all got enough to talk about yet?  I'm missing the banter!