Author Topic:  MCG-DH - Change Your Pilot's Voices / Game Music  (Read 618 times)

19 Nov 17

Read 618 times

Offline Gunner

• Members
  • Rookie

I originally put this in the bug reports topic, but it really doesn't belong there.

You CAN change which pilot speaks with which voice. It is not hard to do. Here's how:

I like and do use the new players, BUT, I did wish they had their own voices. 4-6 Mantis's running around a firefight gets real confusing as to who is in trouble or needs help or just who is talking.

I wanted to change out some of those "Mantis" voice files for a few of the others in the original game (in lieu of actual new voices), sort of share the wealth so to speak. There are plenty of other female pilots in the original, but I didn't know which file is who's.

And Boris and Magic's voices were just creepy. (That was keeping me from using them) I changed their voices out with a couple of the other original voices.

It really makes this version a lot better if every new pilot ISN'T a Mantis or Blaze clone. Not bad-mouthing the use of original pilot voices, I just wanted it to be spread around a bit. (Plus, I wanted to switch out Thunder's voice with someone else. That "Already taken care of" is just ANNOYING. I end up yelling at him "No, it isn't or I wouldn't be telling YOU to do it!" :)

I picked one new pilot in a saved game I had - in this case, Cleo - and then made copies of all the original pilot voice files and pasted them into a new folder. Then - one at a time - I changed their name to Cleo's voice file (CleoA). Then I put this file into MCG Darkest Hours/Data/Sound - overwriting the current CleoA file. Next, I started the game and ran a test mission (for this it helped to have her as the only one with sensors) until I heard them mention their name ("Scarab here", "This is Blaze", etc.), then I ended the mission and closed out the game. (Yes, I did this 30 times. :) )

Even though I saw a pattern, I still did this with each and every file until I had them all logged. For instance, I was sure of a few, but did not stop until they actually spoke their name. So, without further ado, here is the list of pilots and their voice files:

1. Beast - PILOTA
2. Thunder - PILOTAA
3. Paingod - PILOTAB
4. Firestorm - PILOTAC
5. Vixen - PILOTAD
6. Hawk - PILOTB
7. Siren - PILOTC
8. Rooster - PILOTD
9. Isis - PILOTE
10. Gunman - PILOTF
11. Mystique - PILOTG
12. Gator - PILOTM
13. Spice - PILOTI
14. Baron - PILOTJ
15. Fiend - PILOTK
16. Ronin - PILOTL
17. Skater - PILOTH
18. Rebel - PILOTN
19. Hunter - PILOTO
20. Lynx - PILOTP
21. Hitman - PILOTQ
22. Countess - PILOTR
23. Scarab - PILOTS
24. Outlaw - PILOTT
25. Falcon - PILOTU
26. Burnout - PILOTV
27. Goblin - PILOTW
28. Mantis - PILOTX
29. Dragon - PILOTY
30. Blaze - PILOTZ

To give one of your pilots a different voice file, simply copy the preferred ORIGINAL pilot voice file to a new folder and change the name to the one you want changed, and then copy-and-paste (or simply move) the file back into the MCG DH/Data/Sound folder, overwriting the file currently there (You might want to copy that file first in case of some kind of screw up). (This does NOT alter the way the pilots do anything. The only thing it does is change their voice and what they say.)

EXAMPLES:

You want to give Leya the voice of Isis. Copy the PILOTE.PAK file to a new folder, change the name to "LeyaA.PAK", and place in the folder mentioned above. Either save the current "LeyaA.PAK" first or just overwrite it. Now Leya responds in-game with the Isis's voice files.

You want to give Boris the voice of Dragon. Copy the PILOTY.PAK file to a new folder, change the name to "BorisA.PAK", and place in the folder mentioned above (the same place you got it from). Either save the current "BorisA.PAK" first or just overwrite it. Now Boris responds in-game with the Dragon's voice files.

As I said before, I'm just trying to cut down on the confusion of 5-6 Mantis and Blazes all talking at the same time in the same mission. This can be done with the original pilots too (now that you know which voice file is which), so you can even fix an annoying original pilot if one of them bothers you or you just don't like their voice.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 18 by RizZen »
There are two rules for success:
1.  Never tell everything you know.

28 Feb 18

Reply #1

Offline RizZen

• Elite

Hello Gunner,

... you´re still alive after my absence?
Take a look into your MAIN game folder of "MCG Darkest Hours\".

You will find a file called "PREFS.CFG". This is the preferences file that uses MechCommander for ingame sound and 3D settings. It is a simple *.fit file you can open with "Editor" or "NotePad". It´s content may surprise you:
FITini

[MechCommander]
b PaletteCycle=TRUE
b DirectDraw=TRUE
b Use90Pixel=TRUE
b Force45Pixel=FALSE
b Force16Mb=FALSE
b Force32Mb=FALSE
l Resolution=2 // 0-3
l Difficulty=1
l Brightness=1
l MusicVolume=97 // 00-99
l RadioVolume=50 // 00-99
l SFXVolume=77 // 00-99

FITend

When you would like to lower music level just edit those lines (00-99). Have fun and im pleased you are enjoying this version. Don´t forget to set file to "READ ONLY" after making your changes, otherwise game will overwrite it again with older settings.

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 18 by RizZen »

7 Mar 18

Reply #2

Offline Gunner

• Members
  • Rookie

?? Oh, okay, reply to my question about the music volume in the bug reports thread.

Okay, I will give this a try. My previous attempt at lowering the music volume was thru the ingame settings menu.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 18 by Gunner »

8 Mar 18

Reply #3

Offline RizZen

• Elite

Im working on that...
... yay my answer here out of bug-thread is - that it is no bug. I like to listen music and have many more wav songs in my mechcommander folder. The reason that i posted here is - that this is no bug-report thread - and the loud music of game version darkest hours was "intended" by myself. I just made music louder to give possibility to enjoy music without listening to the "monotone" game sounds. You can modify this to whatever you desire its just like modifying your equalizer. You can also make "own" wave files and rename them / replace them with mission music to listen your own music on the battlefield. That´s a certain point i would like to point on Darkest Hours - it has a greater soundtrack that can be modified by the player itself by just creating some wave files out of existing mp3 files. There are free and easy converters in the internet to make any song you like compatible with MechCommander working in ingame conditions, just use normal length songs and convert them to *.wav for ingame usage.

For creating ingame music i used this page
Audio Online Converter
Easy file converter without any forced registration issues. Just convert your *.mp3 into game usable *.wav and rename it to customize your ingame music!

9 Mar 18

Reply #4

Offline Gunner

• Members
  • Rookie

"I like to listen music and have many more wav songs in my mechcommander folder. "

"I just made music louder to give possibility to enjoy music without listening to the "monotone" game sounds."

"You can also make "own" wave files and rename them / replace them with mission music to listen your own music on the battlefield. "
Yeah, me too! I have a lot of music that I would like to be able to listen to while playing.
The problem with this for many of us is that we cannot hear the mech pilots when they give a warning, and also some game sounds - such as a time limit warning for missions with a time limit. I realize that to some who have played the game a lot, this is not a big deal, but to a newer player ...
I would love to do this with a lot of my favorite music. The trick is finding "instrumental" versions. Anything with actual singing/lyrics/words conflicts with the in-game sounds too much to hear them correctly.

9 Mar 18

Reply #5

Offline Gunner

• Members
  • Rookie

Okay, had to change the settings to this:

FITini

[MechCommander]
b PaletteCycle=FALSE
b DirectDraw=TRUE
b Use90Pixel=TRUE
b Force45Pixel=FALSE
b Force16Mb=FALSE
b Force32Mb=TRUE
l Difficulty=1
l Brightness=1
l MusicVolume=0
l RadioVolume=99
l SFXVolume=99

FITend

... but the music is still very loud, especially #22 (is that Bond?), but it is workable.

Edit by RizZen: I was so free to upload your applied changes in a prepared file for main folder. Who doesn´t want to make manual changes in his own PREFS.CFG can download yours and put it into his main game folder in order to reduce his music loudness.
Klick for downloading Gunners Prefs.cfg

25 Mar 18

Reply #6

Offline RizZen

• Elite

Thank you for your feedback, i think it should be possible to reduce wav volume when creating them from mp3, i remember some editings you are able to advise before converting. MechCommander ingame music excourse. MechCommander is operating with old file format for music files. Game was created wayback when *.mp3 didn´t exist in the internet. Music was coded into bigger *.wav files. Game music is using this format. So you can convert any *.mp3 to *.wav and try to exchange it with ingame-songs / music. Here is the list of files responsible for ingame music, you can find these files in your ingame directories:

MCG Darkest Hours\DATA\SOUND\MusicXX.WAV

Ingame-Sound files for Music

MUSIC00.wav
MUSIC01.wav
MUSIC02.wav
MUSIC03.wav
MUSIC04.wav
MUSIC05.wav
MUSIC06.wav
MUSIC07.wav
MUSIC08.wav
MUSIC09.wav
MUSIC10.wav
MUSIC11.wav
MUSIC12.wav -> In-Game Push-It sound - download original one for exchange.
MUSIC13.wav
MUSIC14.wav
MUSIC15.wav
MUSIC16.wav
MUSIC17.wav
MUSIC18.wav
MUSIC19.wav
MUSIC20.wav
MUSIC21.wav
MUSIC22.wav - Original Campaign Menu Music
MUSIC23.wav
MUSIC25.wav
MUSIC26.wav
MUSIC27.wav
MUSIC28.wav
MUSIC29.wav
MUSIC30.wav
MUSIC31.wav
MUSIC33.wav
MUSIC34.wav
MUSIC37.wav
MUSIC38.wav
MUSIC39.wav
MUSIC40.wav
MUSIC41.wav
MUSIC46.wav - Expansion Ingame Music
MUSIC47.wav - Expansion Campaign Menu / Logistics Music song - download original for exchanging with "Push it" version.

Many dislike the song from the menu music of expansion campaign can be exchanged easily by knowing that it is WAV-file MUSIC47. By renaming it you can put any *.wav song on its position. Ingame will show up your *.wav song file then. In v3.0 i left origin *.wav files renamed in same folder. To exchange any ingame music just rename the files like described .I have created an alternative music for expansion campaign for example, klick on the download below to download new MUSIC47.WAV - file for expansion menu music:

This download contains all original MUSIC.XX files. In order to downgrade to original music extract the *.zip-file and copy the MUSICXX.wav-files into your "MCG Darkest Hours\DATA\SOUND\..." folders by overriding mod music files. Single ingame MUSIC files below this download.
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 18 by RizZen »