Author Topic:  MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours v3.0 - Bug Reports & Solutions  (Read 3211 times)

18 Jun 17

Reply #15

Offline Splina

• Rookie

* it works now...dont know why first time it didnt.

About Scarab, no. Its not savegame loaded.
I started new campaing after v.3.0 especially for this :) to find bugs. And here we have Scarab wich become available in shop and then i meet him in a mission. So the result is same pilot twice.
become available in OP.2 MIS.12 and i meet him second time in OP.2 MIS.17

I can make prints if are necessary, but i prefer to finish campaing first to see if i can find more bugs.

*Thunder
In your link about pilots i see that Thunder should be a reward from some mission.
I just got him available to buy in OP.3 MIS 2 i think :)...
dont know if will be double pilot but ill be back with an edit if yes  -  it is doubled !

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 17 by Splina »

18 Jun 17

Reply #16

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Take a look into your MCG - Darkest Hours folder please and tell me when you have extracted purchase files in your data\missions\ folder. If so - delete the purchase00-purchase91 files you might find there. The new purchase files are in 00_PuWa.fst file. Game only reads it if there are NO purchase files in missions folder. If so it reads the ones in missions folder instead of the updatet versions.

I made a mistake while calculating and comparing mission data with warrior purchases. My bad three pilots where out of range after final update. Here the solution. Put this file into your Main-Game folder and override the older one:

C:\GAMES\MCG Darkest Hours\01_PuWa.fst
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 17 by RizZen »

18 Jun 17

Reply #17

Offline Splina

• Rookie

i dont see purchase files in my missions folder
but anyway i dont think that can be the problem because in version 2d missions was broken and more pilots doubled.
Now, in v. 0.3 all those problems are fixed except those 2 pilots (for now)

20 Jun 17

Reply #18

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

EXCELLENT WORK, SPLINA!

I made a calculating mistake between purchase files purchase31.fit-purchase57.fit - three pilots where out of mission rasta:

1. Scarab (Op2Mis17) was available six missions earlier. (corrected!)
2. Thunder (Op3Mis7) was available six missions earlier. (corrected!)
3. Dragon (Op3Mis15) was available six missions earlier. (corrected!)

For this i offer a new 01_PuWa.fst file containing bugfixes of issues above:
Download solution for game-errors with Purchase-Double-Warrior-Bug

Im sry for this, was my mistake. cMunsta was right, changing existing campaigns is a nightmare cause for each change in previous missions you need to update all files that follow. So this was the way i introduced a calculation error from my side. I could erase all warrior bugs for operations 1, 4 & 5 on the first try. After splina reported bugs in Operation 2 & 3 again i found my mistake yesterday while double checking my notices. Thx for reporting - now purchase files should be finally complete and without any serious bugs.
If i have finished my deep walkthrugh on Original Campaign merge i will do same with Expansion merge to - to see if there are maybe some last missing bugs too. But all in all this is the version to have fun with now cause it contains less bugs and technical issues then original game, offers bigger game content on all features & will be further developed in future.
Big thank you to splina again, your reports are worth gold to me. I would appreciate seeing more from you maybe supporting me helping other players to not stuck on remastered version in any way. Would be cool!
By the way: I updatet mission-walkthrough overview thread for original campaign. For Op1Mis14 i added a notice how to reach invisible extraction marker and for Op1Mis18 i made a fast written solution information for players who stuck on mission and don´t know how to cross bridge without exploding. Thank you for these informations too. For Op1Mis7 i will write walkthrough-help too, later - but i guess you just forgot to capture a salvage container.

To final purchase bugfix: Im uploading new PuWa into full version file at the moment. For future -  only people who downloaded v3.0 before 06/20/2017 need to download and replace buggy PuWa.fst file. Full Version will contain these changes from now on. So when players have double pilots from now on they just need to download latest PuWa.fst from Main Development Thread.

Have fun, RIzZ

8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 17 by RizZen »

20 Jun 17

Reply #19

Offline Splina

• Rookie

my pleasure and im glad that helps your development ;)

OP.1 MIS.7 is ok now...the reason why i thought is a bug is because a crate is hidden in forrest and you must burn some trees to see it :) Thats all here...its just well hidden.

Dont worry...ill test it again, if is 100% fine, Expansion Campaing is next and if both are fine...i can focus on multyplayer and new content ideas 8)

*some "honorable mentions" however:

i have some savegame files wich allow to paly campaings with mixtech, with clan only or with full IS (for original camp.) Edited savegames for mision 1, op1. (campaing start)
Now, if i start them, normally only first mission should be "bugged", with old files, anyway...and all others after that should work in new version, right?
Well...not really because if i play those savegames i cant get new pilots. If i cant get them i suppose more things will be broken.
So question is why?

Then is about multyplayer. Pilots more exactly.
You know that you modified some pilots stats and if one player doesnt have new version all our new pilots will work with older stats. No problem here untill we talk about costs :).
Hitman for example is a basic pilot for A variants and in mostly cases i cant use him now because RP limit and he cost more now. Could be ok if he keeps his new stats but, like i said, if someone doesnt have new version my Hitman will be like before but i still pay more for him.
Everytime will be someone with old version and thats why i think pilots modifications are not really good for multyplayer.
Countess is another example...with new stats is best pilot for A's, but if i play with someone with old version i pay 9200 RP for her and i get a 5000 RP crappy pilot. (or less rp, dont remember exactly what was before).
Same with Outlaw.
And yo uknow, in multyplayer games we put calculated RP for balance reasons, so we dont really have so many RP to waste in 95% of cases.
Thats just a sugestion, i can play with that but will be nice to improve this feature in future.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 17 by Splina »

20 Jun 17

Reply #20

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

This wasn´t intended. I´m thinking about making these skills vanilla again. The reasons they where changed i don´t know. I took those changes over from X-Ray campaign. Maybe in X-Ray campaign it made some sense to change them... - but in general i think you are right. When i can put back the changes without loosing mission functionality i will do that to make MP like vanilla again.
And my bad it isn´t possible to play MP with new pilots. Im working on a solution for that but that update will need more time cause i have to figure out all usable indexes and try to find some unused ones to place new pilots in there. The one solution would be to change pilots IDs, or to make a copy with another ID that matches with MP synchronization. Third option is a new *.iso file with updated corefiles for game but this would be my last try cause it´s biggest workload for me.

So i guess the pilots who have problems and you are pointing on are:

PMW00064.FIT - edited skills for Rebel
PMW00067.FIT - edited skills for Hitman
PMW00068.FIT - edited skills for Countess
PMW00069.FIT - edited skills for Scarab
PMW00070.FIT - edited skills for Outlaw
PMW00072.FIT - edited skills for Burnout
PMW00074.FIT - edited skills for Mantis
--------------
Here is an easy solution to make MP original again instant:
Multi-Player Original Warrior Skill Downgrade - Download
This optional (& reversible) update for warriors above negates the changes. When you place the warrior *.fit-files into your games folder - the path they should be:

C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\data\missions\warriors

Aslong the files of this update remaining in this folder - the original skills will be active again. With them you can easily play Multi-Player like you where used to with original stats. When you want to play Darkest Hours campaign skilled warriors again doing some single-player missions you can put them out of this folder and the edited skills from X-Ray customer campaign will be active again, they are stored in 01_PuWa.fst. Aslong no duplicates or other versions of files are in warriors\ folder game will use what it´s finding in compressed *.fst files.

Have fun playing Multi-Player with original planning and budget again, bud.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 17 by RizZen »

20 Jun 17

Reply #21

Offline Splina

• Rookie

thx, i need only Hitman
rests are better updated (because are not used in MP)
Mantis i dont think was modified...or if she was, was a very small change.

i check right now original campaing for pilot bugs and other old bugs and ill be back with an edit. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, here we are.
lets start with what is good:
all pilots works fine, and original misions works fine all.
Good job ! ;)

now bad news...
two bugs are still here:

1. Kotare turkina

like i said before, on battlefield is a Turkina and if i save it from combat, in bay become a...MadCat?
here are some prints to understand better:

see description..."star colonel Marcus Kotare comands a Turkina.." on this MadCat J

and here, in last print you see it in his true shape, but if you check stats from left top corner you can see it described like a 75 ton mech (MadCat stat).

2. Colonel Wirth objective

An objective require to kill him, but when you do this nothing happen and objective is still unfinished. That result in a impossibility to finish this mision because its a primary objective.
OP.5 MIS.13
Just like this :

He is dead, objective not.

Cheers and thats all for now.  8)

20 Jun 17

Reply #22

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Oh I'm excited for old bugs. I want to solve them too when time comes. Time has come!

------:::::------

Your try for mixedtech in single-player campaigns don't work cause you need to change all purchase files to make it work. These are about 100 files.
When you edit only master file it doesn't work cause master file defines only what you can buy in general. No availability numbers work for master file. Instead game looks in each single related mission purchase for logistic purchase. These need all to be updated with new techs and equipment.
1. That's also why you can't buy pilots. You need to define in mission purchase files what is available or not in shop for each single mission of campaign.
2. At least to make it run on first mission you need to update start0.pkk file.
This is much work and originally it wasn't intended by creators that mixed tech can be used in original campaigns. But you can still get clan tech by salvaging from battlefield.

------:::::------

Old Mission Bugs

Op4Mis10: - Turkina / Mad-Cat misplace issue in logistics - SOLVED
I have this Turkina issue too. I don't know why creators did so. I may have a look into its related *.fit file soon & updating it with some changes. I don´t think it will be a problem to make it "Turkina" in logistics too. There might be a wrong link to Mad-Cat-sprites. If i can extract the mission.fit and *.abl files for this mission i will be able to make a bugfix. This should be possible to do when im working on next update. - SOLVED -

Op5Mis13: - Wirth killing objective failure - SOLVED -
Play the mission with Wirth with regular mech crew and try again. I never tried it with only one commando lol - maybe it causes error with mission objective.
// Edit: Yeah i know there is a problem but i also know mission can be finished if you kill all enemy units on map. For this mission i can do same like above with Turkina - extracting mission *.abl files. Here i have two possible solutions:
1. Change mission objective from "Kill Colonel Wirth" to "Kill Colonel Wirth´s StarLeague Lance" - when there is another unit involved in this objective what i think is the case here.
2. Change objective itself, means deleting the entry for other units just leaving kill objective for Wirth and his mech.
But here is a "third" possibility - doing nothing - cause maybe - i don´t know it´s just a theory - you REALLY NEED to KILL the WARRIOR inside mech - not only mech. Means when he can EJECT and escape alive this maybe is reason for objective not being shown as "success"... - so here i would like to hear some more opinions ... - and make a final judgement after analyzing this Mission.fst in detail.

You where right Splina, I'm sry. Hotfix for corrupted objective you can find here:
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 17 by RizZen »

20 Jun 17

Reply #23

Offline Splina

• Rookie

not i edited mixtechs for campaings...i downloaded them from mechcommander.co.uk :)
anyway thats not a problem...i was just curious why

*ok, Kotare is bugged in original campaing too...

about Wirth
i played campaings before and had same bug. Its not from your version :)
Doesnt matter what you use..
In those prints i killed him with artys, before with mechs and did it with cheats too...same result.

Oh, and if you want more bugs, or old problems what i hope can be fixed...look here :

http://forums.mechcommander.co.uk/topic/7229028/1/#new

an old post, but my last reply describe them better.

21 Jun 17

Reply #24

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Yeah but having a Mad-Cat chassis with Turkina Sprites isn´t ok. I will have a deeper look into missions soon and pick up some bugs to solve. This is one.

I make a To-Do-List, please tell me if something is missing i can add it then:

- Kotare´s Turkina Bug (Op4Mis10) Changed wrong entry that let Turkina appear as Mad-Cat in logistics -Done-
- Star League Colonel Wirth - (Op5Mis13) Killing mission objective -Done-
- missing extraction marker in mission Op1Mis14 (marker works but is invisible on map {not mini map} for players)
- updating and bugfixes for ALL mission briefings (correct op and mission numbers f.e.)

I will work on that list as soon i can find time and motivation for. The changes which i will make for updating missions will be 99% included in file updates for only ONE *.fst file i created seperate in order only to include mission updates for old bugs. The file´s name is 00_MUpdate.fst in main folder.
So updating game with bugfixes for missions won´t effort new update packs nor new content in full version. I will do it like above with 01_PuWa.fst for warrior and purchase files. Just offering always the latest version of it as optional download.
The only Mission Update i have done so far, means only mission i have changed is one of the last Turncoat missions in expansion campaign where i had to replace four upcoming warriors with empty slots and additional drop weight to compensate not having them as allies in mission. Reason was that the way creators introduced warriors in mission doesnt work and cause errors. It only worked on their campaign cause it was last mission - so without another mission following it worked cause game ends before errors occure. The additional drop weight in this mission is equal to the total weight of the allies you would have got in original version of this mission.
Another SMALL change i have made is a replacement for mission op4mis01 - you get magic here instead of Firestorm. You get firestorm later in Mission Op5Mis13.

Clan-Tech issues
Next thing i would like to have is a EXACT list of missing salvage / empty salvage containers. My solution for missing mixed tech would be to enhance empty places with clan weapons to loot.

Mixed-Tech information:
You don´t need to download Mixed-Tech from other sites. The mixed-tech patch on MechCommanderOnline only includes 39 purchase items for shop, DH-Version contains all (49 total) - and the MT-Patch from this site doesn´t contain many playable vehicles. DH-Version has all vehicles included too.
Prices in shop and stats for mechs/items/vehicles where not changed by me, so from playing situation nothing should have changed. The differences with warrior skills and ranks i already explained, where not done by me and are reversible like i show in *.fit file solution above.
Additional info: You still not understand how purchases work. The both files called mixed-tech patch are nothing else than basic clan & is masterfiles. In multi-player and solo-missions all items in shop are set to unlimited by default. That is reason because you can use full mixed tech here.
In single-player campaigns you can set to unlimited by default too - but game ignores it and uses data it gets from individual purchase file for each mission. That is the reason your mixed-tech not works here cause ALL purchase files need to be updatet for making it work.

A possible solution to integrate Mixed-Tech to SP i have in mind would be to make changes in these files:

For Original Single-Player-Campaign
C:\GAMES\MCG Darkest Hours\data\missions\purchase.fit
C:\GAMES\MCG Darkest Hours\data\missions\soloISpurchase.fit
For Expansion Single-Player-Campaign
C:\GAMES\MCG Darkest Hours\data\missions\Xpur.fit

I don´t know if this works cause i have never tried. But when i would like to introduce Mixed-Tech i maybe would try editing these files. They define WHAT purchase file is used by certain mission. Means these are two lists containing all campaign missions & references/links to their individual purchase files.
In order to make changes on them yourself you need them extracted. The latest extracted-purchase file you can download here.
Editing them and getting game to use it works same way like you have done with warrior.fit files. Aslong you have an extracted version of file in folder-path above - game will use this one instead of the copy in its main folders 01_PuWa.fst file. This is reversible too. To have original Darkest Hours purchases again just remove the extracted files out of you game´s mission directory.
What needs to be changed? In best case you can change all links referring to single purchase files to only one purchase file containing master file´s purchase entries with unlimited availability. Worst case: If this doesn´t work - referring all missions to ONE purchase file - you need to copy the master-purchase 91 times and replace single-purchase files with updatet ones. - but then you can just update the existent without changing the two files above. I´am not sure if game accepts using one purchase file several times for several missions - or not - that´s something that needs to be figured out by trial and error.
And to be sure not having danger of double pilots and wasted skill points (cause double pilots needs to be sold for workaround warriorbug) i would not make the 14 warriors available for purchase. Means their status entry in each purchase file needs to be set to "Unseen". (not sure if this may cause problems after you received pilots in missions - cause the way i did making them work was to make them unseen until you get them in mission and all following purchases the received warriors i put status to "Available" in purchase - this was the way developers did too when introducing pilots out of missions. Before player could get them they where "unseen" - after the missions where you get them "available". And this is the purchase update i have done as bugfix for solving double warrior bug. I just synchronized purchase files warrior-status of availablity with XXL-Campaign-Merge to make purchases work for whole campaign without bugs.

21 Jun 17

Reply #25

Offline Splina

• Rookie

- Kotare´s Turkina - Bug (Op4.Mis10)
- Start League Colonel Wirth - Killing mission objective (you can simply make this an Secondary objective and mission become playable)
- missing extraction marker in mission Op1Mis14 (marker works but is invisible on map {not mini map} for players)
- updating and bugfixes for ALL mission briefings (correct op and mission numbers f.e.)
- Right Arm bug (for player mechs all weapons are assigned on Righ Arm, not balanced distribution)
- Targeting specific location on enemy mechs (if this can work on any distance and in moving...will be a great improvement)

next, i must check expansion campaing and see if i can find something.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 17 by Splina »

21 Jun 17

Reply #26

Offline dashi112

• Members
  • Rookie

I THINK there is an empty container on op1 mission 7, as the sound doesnt trigger on a crate east of drop zone 3 ( on the dirt near the water)

also op1 mission 13, is it possible to get the heavy turret controls at the depot? I cant jump or walk close enough to get it. Are they linked to anything? ( i assume the pain in the backside artillery turret at the northern depot that wrecked my squad)

Both in original campaign btw, I do like the mod as it revived my interest in MCG (currently about to start op 1 mission 14). Any plans to change other of the base missions like you did with 1-1?

21 Jun 17

Reply #27

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

@Dashi112:
Future improvements - have a look into this thread to see what follows. I have many ideas. But not much time so it will last longer as if a team of 20 programmers would do... but i´m not stopping to work on MechCommander. It became my child :D
Mission 1 of Operation 1 was a rebuilt of Mission 1 based on raw map data. The Mad-Cat was my idea to show what is possible. The bridge to the other side is one of the longest bridges of all existing MechCommander Maps. And it works - i mean you can pass it - that´s one of the hardest things to manage while working on map files. Cause many times bridges are corrupted and cause game crashes especially when you select more than one unit to pass - when they mess up their waypoints cause of stupid A.I. - game crashes. This didn´t happened to that one in Mission 1. For me it was an important experience for modding. Also the salvaging containers and adding salvage manually after trying with extender before & checking results in files. I never intended to change ANY of the original neither the usermade campaign missions.
I have my own ideas for missions and they will play on their own terrains ^^. This will be a future improvement - cause all campaigns i have created will stay SAME now and in future. I will just ADD missions after the regular campaign ends - making them larger. Task still is 100 missions total for EACH (Original&Expansion merge) single-player campaign. This means that from today´s point of view there will be +69 missions in the end. Only then i call my campaigns FINISHED. But this will last some time and i want to have more players who played "through" - BEFORE releasing MY missions. For existing campaigns I only plan to solving OLD bugs and maybe fill empty containers.
Turret controls of Op1Mis13 - it is the same with other usermade customer campaign missions: When i want to correct bugs on it i need to extract it first. Only extracted missions i have are original ones cause i wrote them.- DONE ALL MISSIONS ARE EXTRACTED - Still it will take some time. Problem is that i usually linked with using Editor. But when using Editor you can only do it on raw map - which needs a recreation of this mission like i have done with Original Missions. This will take time and is put to lower priority as it´s not "game corrupting" - but more "disturbing" bug :P. But when time comes i load this mission files on my Windows 98 machine and do the needed changes in order to repackage mission into a new existing *.fst - and then updating game with it. Thx for report anyways.
I would like to go on continuing working on ToDo-List in order to have a good result with just one update instead of making several small updates. Smaller HotFixes will be released after each single Mission-Update when it´s a serious bug like Wirth Killing objective or Turkina/Mad-Cat bug we have already found and solved! So thank you for the reports and go on giving me more input what to change where in which mission. I will keep this in mind and included it in list.

@Splina:
- Right Arm bug (for player mechs all weapons are assigned on Righ Arm)
- Targeting specific location on enemy mechs (if this can work on any distance and in moving...will be a great improvement)

Aslong confused_shelf is doing his weapon & vehicle mods i want to wait putting a hand on it. Changing mech chassis / hardpoints will be not that easy. This is hardcoded stuff same like new warrior´s multiplayer malfunction. If i would change the hardpoints splitting weapons on other body parts multi-player compability will be lost until Original-CD-ISO update. This efforts more knowledge then i have at the moment. Im no *.exe file specialist neither C++ programmer. But both of these are needed to make these changes work then - apart from the fact that it will be massive workload just to make the changes itself - and when it´s finished there is still a long journey to introduce them.
Same with targetting - if i would make changes on game-balance (changing or balancing some values) it will definetely not work for Multi-Player - even if it would be possible to introduce it into single-player campaigns - a ISO-Update of ROOT files will also be necessary to be able to use it. Correct me if im wrong - maybe another modder finds another solution or workaround - but i only know those - and it´s too much time investment to do now. Other things like little older bugs i can work on faster so priority for first is there. I will keep this in my mind also - when an *.exe specialist shows up here willing to help me doing some hardcoded stuff for game ROOT files and it´s *.exe files would be really nice.

21 Jun 17

Reply #28

Offline Splina

• Rookie

yes, those 2 changes are not with a high priority because dont affect game so much and anyway game works 100% with them.
More modders tried this in past...but failed, so yes, its hard :) but not impossible.

anyway...what i cant understand is why is like this and why is so hard to change. (R. Arm bug)
Because normal values are already in game...in BOT mechs and even in some player mechs (reward mechs from missions...when you get those mechs they work 100% like BOT mechs..with weapons assigned symmetrically, and then are changed. Best example Masakari J reward, here this stuff can be seen better).
Cant those files, values or codes...whatever they are...simply copied from BOT mechs to Player mechs?
I dont think it must be reworked 100% because normal things, how it should be, are already in game...on BOT mechs.

MP is another story and not so important for this...because if all players will use same version all compatibility problems become inexistent. So that depends mostly, if not only, by players to update their game.

What i think is important is to make those changes for SP first.

Anyway, like i said, its not a high priority bug. Are just ideas for future ;)
Just like weapon rebalance..how i saw in another topic on this forum...new mechs...etc.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 17 by Splina »

21 Jun 17

Reply #29

Offline dashi112

• Members
  • Rookie

dont worry about it too much, i will just pop here what i see when I get to it and hope it helps you at some point in the future :)