Author Topic:  Streaming Software: OBS  (Read 11113 times)

1 Sep 13

Reply #15

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

Thank you SO MUCH Phil for posting this. It actually got me to set up the program and do a test stream at some point. Ive been looking into this for a while now and thanks to you, i can finally do it!

Awesome! The more MWO/Mechcommander/ *MWT* streams the better!

18 Sep 13

Reply #16

Offline Hoist

• Rookie

Thanks for sharing this Phil!  I was wondering from a geeky I need to know how this works point of view and here there's a post for it.  Thank you!

17 Oct 13

Reply #17

Offline Farix

• Veteran

During Impaler's stream last night, someone mentioned the Quick Sync Video technology that is included in second generation Intel i3, i5, and i7 processors (Sandybridge). Quick Sync is a hardware video encoding and decoding technology that is build into the iGPU of the processor and if utilized, can reduce the load on the general CPU.

The problem is that most systems have a discreet GPU card, so the iGPU in the processor is disabled. So you need to go into your BIOS settings and turn it on, typically by enabling iGPU mutli-monitor support.

After the system boots and the basic drivers are loaded. Use IOBit's Driver Booster to update to the latest drivers. Driver Booster will also update any system level drivers which can boost performance.

After that, you can follow steps 4 through 10 in this tutorial in how to configure a second "dummy" monitor using the iGPU. (This step is unnecessary if you use Lucid Virtu, see note below.)

Now the final step is to go into OBS's settings, in the Advanced tab, and select "Use Quick Sync". If you are using a custom x264 encoder setting, also select "Use custom x264 settings for QSV". No idea how to enable Quick Sync it in Xsplit.

There is also a tool called Lucid Virtu that you can download and configure. Not sure if it is needed if the software already supports Quick Sync though.

UPDATE: After some initial playing around, it appears that if you use Lucid Virtu, you won't need to set up the dummy monitor in your display settings. So whichever method you use is up to you.

UPDATE 2: After a couple of attempts configure OBS with Lucid Virtu, it's clear that Virtu just crashes OBS. So the dummy monitor is your best bet for now.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 13 by Farix »

17 Oct 13

Reply #18

Offline Boggratt

• Rookie

Don't forget that you can also use OBS for game screen capture work as well.

18 Oct 13

Reply #19

Offline Keekat

• Wrenching Crew
  • Ace

During Impaler's stream last night, someone mentioned the Quick Sync Video technology that is included in second generation Intel i3, i5, and i7 processors (Sandybridge). Quick Sync is a hardware video encoding and decoding technology that is build into the iGPU of the processor and if utilized, can reduce the load on the general CPU.

The problem is that most systems have a discreet GPU card, so the iGPU in the processor is disabled. So you need to go into your BIOS settings and turn it on, typically by enabling iGPU mutli-monitor support.

After the system boots and the basic drivers are loaded. Use IOBit's Driver Booster to update to the latest drivers. Driver Booster will also update any system level drivers which can boost performance.

After that, you can follow steps 4 through 10 in this tutorial in how to configure a second "dummy" monitor using the iGPU. (This step is unnecessary if you use Lucid Virtu, see note below.)

Now the final step is to go into OBS's settings, in the Advanced tab, and select "Use Quick Sync". If you are using a custom x264 encoder setting, also select "Use custom x264 settings for QSV". No idea how to enable Quick Sync it in Xsplit.

There is also a tool called Lucid Virtu that you can download and configure. Not sure if it is needed if the software already supports Quick Sync though.

UPDATE: After some initial playing around, it appears that if you use Lucid Virtu, you won't need to set up the dummy monitor in your display settings. So whichever method you use is up to you.

Wow this made obs run soooo much faster! Thanks!

20 Oct 13

Reply #20

Offline August 55

• Regular

Cheers for posting this. I've started to experiment with Doom LP videos now.

3 Nov 13

Reply #21

Offline Niyack

• Rookie

Have you seen the Scene Switcher Plugin for OBS?  It might people with moving between the mechlab and game play overlays.  Sadly doesn't work with a capture card, so I can't use it. :(

A guide video on how to setup the plugin

3 Nov 13

Reply #22

Offline SeanLang

• NGNG Founder
  • Legendary

I'll check this out and report back. I currently use the 'hot key' method, to switch between the gameplay & mechlab 'scenes'.

3 Nov 13

Reply #23

Offline StarGeezer

• Veteran

I'll check this out and report back. I currently use the 'hot key' method, to switch between the gameplay & mechlab 'scenes'.

Won't this be an academic point once UI2.0 is introduced and you can run the mechlab in full screen?

4 Nov 13

Reply #24

Offline Keekat

• Wrenching Crew
  • Ace

Won't this be an academic point once UI2.0 is introduced and you can run the mechlab in full screen?
Neg the resolution doesn't really come into it most people stream at 720p anyway which is same-ish as the mechlab. Of course it will help the 1080p people.

The more important use is switching between overlays. An overlay for the mechlab might be more obtrusive and show scores etc while the gameplay overlay would be minimalistic to better show gameplay.

Also I don't think that method in the video works for MWO because the game client and mechlab have the same window name.
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 13 by Keekat »

6 Dec 13

Reply #25

Offline themechwarriorzero

• Rookie

how do you add a boarder in the video's that you podcast?

19 Dec 13

Reply #26

Offline themechwarriorzero

• Rookie

19 Dec 13

Reply #27

Offline B B Wolfe

• Forum Goddess
  • Elite

That is an overlay layer with transparency.

Let's say you have this and want to make that look less like a jumbled clusterbuckle.  Make an image image that is transparent in places you want to show through, like this one.  Note that you don't have to have one that covers the whole screen, if you just want it to be in a corner or something.

Now, in OBS add an image source over your other sources to yield something like this.