Author Topic:  MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours v3.0 - Bug Reports & Solutions  (Read 5041 times)

23 May 17

Read 5041 times

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

How to make a bug report with
BIGGEST chance for solution?

Very easy, feed me with that data
- system ur running (win10 64bit f.e.)
- game version ur running (darkest hours full version 2.0d f.e.)
- try to explain exactly the problem
- what game feature u use (original/expansion campaign / solo- / multi-player missions)
- what mission / map causes the problem (overview here)
- awesome help would be screenshots or error reports from game when it crashes

After Full version release of MCG - Darkest Hours - some bugfixes need to be done, here a list of what I wanna do after mod has gone standalone and easy to install & play: - DONE -
- purchase files update (problems with warriors showing up in-game and related purchase entries needs to be fixed) - DONE -
- artwork: update for background and menu buttons to show modded content- DONE -
- repairing *.sol files and updating them to activate approximately 95 solo missions to play then - DONE -
- introducing missing multi-player missions (64 total to play currently) - DONE -
- some mission updates for campaigns to make them run better - DONE -
This will be stuff coming up with first Full Version Update Patch later. - DONE -
When you have in-game issues... - report bugs here. If it's part of my work I may introduce your ideas. After all bugs of introduced content got solved I'm focussing on older bugs, balancing campaigns & develop game further. Especially artwork will get some optional updates which will be part of v4.0 update.

NEXT UPDATE
FIRST UPDATE FOR STANDALONE FULL VERSION v3.0 to v4.0 (final evolution)
December, 2017
In time between no further patches are planned neither will be released (only optional updates or map packs will come up for existing version in between). All reported bugs will be recognized in Update. Last date (deadline) for bug reports: November, 15th
All reported bugs after November, 15th wont be released in first update when you give report later. This will be stuff for next update then.
Now Full Version Mod can speak for itself.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 17 by RizZen »

23 May 17

Reply #1

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

by Splina from MechCommanderOnline.com:

i instaled last version 2.0d and tested a bit..

well...for me doesnt work. I see nothing changed from 2.0 version.

i installed only last version not entire reworked game...can be this the reason?

I dont need / want to reinstall game especially because i have a working exe crack. (No.CD) so i just installed updates.
Should be same result like entire reworked game but i saw same bugs on SP mode :

Original campaing still stuck on OP3 Mis2
Extended camp. stuck on OP3 Mis1

Still same story...different objectives in loby and in mision, only 1 enemy and impossible objectives.

I read links but thats just the history about updates.

well...thats feedback here.
Like i said, consider me a tester
If you need prints about what i find wrong with game...just let me know,

Important notice: All problems mentioned below got solved with final purchase release of MCG-DH-v3.0! All campaign missions work 100% original now. Enjoy games biggest potential and ongoing support for new evolved version of MechCommander.

Answer (old content - probs solved!)
The problem with original missions 1-30 and original expansion 1-12 is that they couldn't be integrated in other campaigns. The reason is that the original missions where scripted 90%. Not editor or extender compatible. Reason two it doesn't work with original missions is that they all are stored in the same *.fst folder. The game version I have created only had user campaign missions (Xenocide, X-Ray, Exodus for original and turncoat, Bengal & dsc raid for expansion ) all completed and working 100% in it.
So there is where 59 missions for original campaign. And 29 missions for expansion. Task is to have the largest campaigns ever in the end. And due to the fact many asked for original missions I had to find a solution to integrate them. This was the hardest part.
All original missions needed to be recreated from 0 with editor. I had just naked map files. I have done everything what you can do to recreate these missions with editor and extender so far they technically allow. The capacities are low and the software crashes often, especially when you have complex mission objectives.
The source of original missions was extracted and download able from gamestand. This and cmunstas guides and some forum information of Modders and people trying same like me but suffering on it I've found. There was no suitable solution to find and so I had to develop my own recreation process with the things I have hoarded for MCG. There are 3 phases of recreation process:
1. Editor phase - unit placing, buildings & salvage, mission objectives and unit orders as far editor can do
2. Extender and Extractor work - salvaging and additional mission objectives and some deeper settings then editor can do, then compressing to usable dpk and extract to mission.fst file ur used to see (like multi-player maps)
3. *.abl scripting phase - extracting mission.fst and writing abl files needed to make missions as complex as origins has been

Phase 3 started with the full version release and must be seen as long time perspective project. I need players and active community testing, playing & enjoying game before they will be 100% recreated. One additional reason that I didn't started the abl part yet is, that I have some imaginable solutions I would like to try first cause they will allow to recreate them faster in the end. I didn't said for nothing that next update will be December. In December I think it's possible to have it done that way that originals are 100% back.

But since then you have to see the 30 original missions part of original campaign merge as training missions with gifts for players like full salvage containers. I said months ago on NGNG that original missions won't be 100% like before when full version comes. Cause many waited so long I found a solution to give players profit of better version in spite of the fact that original missions not complete. This is a problem and I know it irritates you as player when some missions not being like expected (mission objective issues) - and I don't like it too, but it's a compromise letting you as player taking part in development process.
There are many missions already finished but they didn't work as they should. It is not possible to make a working train for example with editor. I tried many ways of getting train work but I need to abl script that manually otherwise mission will crash in-game. Therefore I replaced some mission objectives (it's just for a time that way). Important to me is: Are the missions playable (not suitable of course they are not when not 100% original I know) - but I need to know if they work (start, objectives, end, next log screen) - cause these are the files who are backbone for recreation process.
I need to know what salvage works or if maybe some containers are forgotten who contain salvage.
And keep in mind: not all missions are on low level of recreation, some could fit in very well with a good result compared to original.
So at the moment left to say don't expect the original missions as serious at the moment they are not but that was never intended. It's just a technical game issue I would like to have them 100% too again but this is the most complicated part cause there have to be many file updated made.
So multi-player features and solo missions and some art work for new pilots (needed due to campaign length as the campaigns are largest ever exist) to give it more potential and making it a backbone for a evolved remastered version was first priority. Legend made clear to me that players need a full functional product to make it develop able for future processes and mission updates. This way everyone can help making original missions 100% perfect in the end. Only thing you need to do is to report missing salvages or wrong flagged buildings like sensors which don't work or turret linings. When all basic things work abl process can be finally finished.

So don't be mad with original missions, all other things work and after purchase file update for single-player and sol update for solo missions you can try out free all recreated missions to see how far the recreation process has been done for now. But this isn't the final mission, this is my next task. I apologise if this is making you upset now but I never said something else, therefore please have a look on noguts no galaxy to understand the complexity of the whole remastering process. I hope you can still enjoy my work and by giving you the perspective that this will be done next I hope you have a blast playing through it now, using benefit of the originals to boost your mechbay for harder custom missions. Also for skilling warriors the additional missions should be helpful for you playing through these biggest campaigns ever.

By the way: the version I have created doesn't corrupt your savegamefiles when you will receive an update. You can play it like you can now then with the difference that all missions will be back 100% at the end. Maybe in December I think I have some solutions which could work.

FINAL BREAKTHROUGH SOLUTION
for Original Missions

I passed the last mile-stone of recreation-process from 42 original missions earlier then expected. The solution i have found to make missions working again matched perfectly with game´s technical requirements now. I have recreated original missions with RAW Map data using Editor, Editor2, Extender & Extractor. After reaching their limits i couldn´t develop them further with games editor and editing software. So i *.abl scripted the missing parts like Enemies A.I. and total numbers of units on maps manually to introduce original missions content. Result is having all 42 original missions for MechCommander seperated as one single *.fst file for each mission containing ONLY it´s missions files (terrain/mission & warrior brain files). Original Missions where originally put into games MISSION.FST file. But for some reasons having all missions into just ONE *.fst file caused errors. Second reason for seperating these missions from MISSION.FST is that it is easier now to update and bugfix certain missions. If the missions would be still used from only one *.fst i would need to update MISSION.FST - what causes problems with cMunsta tools (too many files in one *.fst cause errors when compressing & of course decrompressing it to be used.

So finally in Version 3.0 all original missions work like used to be again. Including two smaller bugfixes i have done for older missions. If you have downloaded an older version of Darkest Hours - update your version 2.0d with v3.0 Update - it contains all recreated original missions in vanilla conditions working fine again.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 17 by RizZen »

30 May 17

Reply #2

Offline ravens

• Members
  • Rookie

Hi I seem to have found a bug in "Operation 1, Mission 14" of the Original Campaign, as I can't complete it as the evac marker seems to be missing. I get Objectives 1 -4 complete but when I move to Obj 5 location (As shown on mini map) there is nothing shown on the ground and after completely searching the map have not found anything.

I've run the map twice once with an Atlas, 2 30 ton lights and again with 2 50 tons and 2 30 tons, both times had upwards of 20 mins left on the timer.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this.

Running Darkest Hours 2.0d version

30 May 17

Reply #3

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

You talking about this mission?
Look here for mission overview. (Solution as description available there)

I can't help anyways when you don't gimme more input like what os ur using for example. I just can say in general that missions from X-Ray, Xenocide & Exodus campaigns were not changed by me. They where just put into a bigger campaign, that's all.
The missions of these three user custom campaigns existing for 15 years like they are in my version. So if it doesn't end on my side (sometimes happens especially when I was too fast on some points) I just replay missions in a more defensive way waiting for all enemies showing up and when it doesn't end after last objective I clean map if there is anything left to kill or destroy. Usually that works. Some missions have a hidden timer that isn't shown. Usually it's not more than 15-20 minutes. These are obviously invisible standard timers for some objectives. But in this mission there is an invisible on map extraction marker (see my posting below).
When one of the original missions I have recreated doesn't end it's my duty to make it work. But also here minimum two people worldwide could end all missions of my ultimate campaign.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 17 by RizZen »

1 Jun 17

Reply #4

Offline ravens

• Members
  • Rookie

That's the one and then in bottom left when in mission it show an objective marked number 5 with instruction to move here. That is the objective that fails as I complete the other parts.

Specs:
CPU: i5 6500
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: AMD 7950 3GB
HDD: 7+ TB
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 17 by ravens »

2 Jun 17

Reply #5

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

I played mission like described above - with windows 10, 64-bit and AMD cpu:
- low graphic settings for exe (8bit, 256 colors)
- Windows XP SP2 / (98) compability mode true

Mission is to play like "defend" - three different objects. You have a friendly squad on your side defending main targets. The sensor tower needs to be defended manually the rest can be done by being backed up from allies. The refit truck allows to go into next mission without any repair costs and rebel joins your mechbay crew. (be sure having maximum 14 mechs/vehicles assigned in missions where you get warriors from battlefield.
After all enemies got killed you need to move your units (including refit truck) to the position i highlighted on O-screenshot-O.
You are right, there is no extraction marker shown like in other missions. But if you move all units close to the objective marker mission ends like on screen. Old X-Ray bug exists for 15 years - maybe i will add an extraction marker in my later works but for first original missions have priority.

Edit: Updatet Mission Description for Op1Mis14. 06/19/2017

Have fun, RizZ
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 17 by RizZen »

5 Jun 17

Reply #6

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

FINAL Original Mission Breakthrough!!!

This weekend I could successfully implement the original missions with all objectives into MCG Darkest Hours.
So your problems with bugs on original missions or wrong mission objectives will have an end soon are over from v3.0 on.

Here is my current original-missions ToDo:List from abl-scripting phases (Phase 3 of 3):

Original missions
Operation 1: 0101, 0102, 0103, 0104, 0105, 0106
Operation 2: 0201, 0202, 0203, 0204, 0205, 0206
Operation 3: 0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305, 0306
Operation 4: 0401, 0402, 0403, 0404, 0405, 0406
Operation 5: 0501, 0502, 0503, 0504, 0505, 0506
Expansion missions
Operation 1: 0101, 0102, 0103, 0104
Operation 2: 0201, 0202, 0203, 0204
Operation 3: 0301, 0302, 0303, 0304

Green: Already introduced into Full Version v3.0 (v3.0 Patch for 2.0d Versions available too)
For humans: this means I could start game and play vanilla missions 100% recreated and implemented into darkest hours. I played 30 of 30 missions from original (12 of 12 Expansion) campaign without any bugs or AI issues. All convoys, patrols, trains & mission objectives work like they should do now. This will finish my core work on remastered version and finally make game working like the original... no better cause it blows you up ;)
Red: Work in progress

I'll keep this updated. Let's see if I can come closer to the final recreation tomorrow.
Original Missions are back 100% working fine!
Now MCG Darkest Hours is the most complete MechCommander RTS version ever.

6 Jun 17

Reply #7

Offline Splina

• Rookie

Hi, me again :)

This time i finished Original campaing and found more problems...if that can help to improve things.

First, old problems with wrong objectives or inactive / inexistent enemy.
Then i found problems with some pilots.
1. Burnout
Beome available to buy it after some misions and afer some more misions you meet him in battle in OP.4 MIS.9. Same pilot twice and result is a crash.
2. Hitman
Same story for OP.4 MIS.10...but this time game DONT crash. I can use both hitmans without any problems..but looks a bit weird :)
3. Countess
Exactly same like Hitman. Twice pilot and can use both.  OP.4 MIS.15.
4. Falcon
You deleted it? I competed whole campaing and didnt meet or seen it available to buy.

Next, another imposible mision to finish.
OP.5 MIS.13
It require to kill some commander (dont remember name) anyway its a unique Turkina, but when i kill him nothing happen. Objective is still here and unfinished.
This is not a mision from Original campaing.

Next, on OP.4 MIS.10 i found a but with a mech. Its Kotare Turkina.
Looks normal as an enemy but if i save his mech in my lobby it become a MadCat? Then if i use it in battle it become again a Turkina...weird.

And finally some TCs and Turrets wich dont work...but i think thats the smallest problem now. :)

Cheers and Good Job !

6 Jun 17

Reply #8

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Ty for this feedback. - problems solved! New 01_PuWa.fst

So here was the problem:
First of all I merged the user custom campaigns. Not because I wanted to do them first but because it was easy with them cause files are already stored separated mission for mission. The original missions where all in One fst file (mission.fst) - this caused many problems on old version and was reason for original missions crashing when being put in another campaign.
After I recreated the missions and stored them as single fst files I could add them into existing user campaign merge... logically I couldn't stack them up (balance and difficulty scale) - so they needed to be put into five existing and working operations. But purchases where already done. So with adding 30 missions into a 59 mission campaign some purchases needed to be added in between too. This brought them out of order. That's reason I'm working on a colossal purchase update for Main-Folder. Then this issue with pilots you get in shop too early will have an end.
For solution sell the doubled warriors before mission in which you get them and use the one u get afterwards. Invested skill points will be lost then.
Falcon/Mystique... and some others u gain in original missions and they will beare 100% back then as u see. I'm workingfinished work on it.

By the way
The missions already contain mystique,falcon & all other "In-Mission-Warriors" only. I will make an update and bring them to full version (already available). when I brought back the last mission to 100%.
Turrets and salvages will be are original then too again.

Salvage / Containers info
The clan loot I introduced into recreated missions was a gift for players in exchange for forcing them to wait for loved original missions being back 100% later... - so when I'm done with them they are really 100% like original with only one exception (mission 0101) - this I only changed to show what is possible to do ... by example.
After bringing back Originals up to 100% there are some forgotten depots and storages who give potential to add some clan stuff equipment. But first i need a list containing all in old version forgotten, missing or empty storages. No problem to get them filled for me.
This update will also containS the Purchase update with 91 completely overworked purchase files for each mission.

One last update info
For future updates I ALWAYS update the download for full version too. So when in future u look for updates only do updates which where released after you downloaded and installed full version. New updates will have exact dates of release then to make it more transparent.
The update I'm working on i released at the moment is just for Single-Player campaigns. So purchase files will be balanced and bugfixed after release and all original missions will work like experienced players are used to.
And when This update is done the backbone version of remastered MCG - 100% completed.
There are maybe some mission updates/bugfixes in customer campaigns like splina pointed out. There are problems with ending missions, Turkina bug, missing extraction markers or malfunctioning mission objectives - I think I can work out some solutions & work-arounds to fix those. But as this takes time cause I have to extract the fst manually - is a long-time-perspective process. The mission Splina talks about killing objective on star enemy ends sometimes ... sometimes not I just not figured out 100% what's wrong but as I've said this can be IS a task now - after finishing total original recreation process.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 17 by RizZen »

6 Jun 17

Reply #9

Offline Splina

• Rookie

good, pleased to se that feedback is usefull ;)
i'll be back with expansion campaing bugs to tell yo uexactly wahts wrong and where or when i remember something about original camp. 

anyway..i remembered something already  :D

that Firestorm pilot...its reward on another mision but i think its way too late in game. Because it cant grow to max skills even if i use hi in every mision after i get him and thats nasty...its such a good pilot.

I know about double pilots how to avoid game crashes...but like i said, only Burnout crash game. Hitman and Countess can be used with their "clones" even if i use them all in same mision.

And will be perfectly if you can upload only last patch when you change something and release it...because like i said before, i dont really want and dont see why i should download and instal whole game when i need only last updates.
Of course, full version is good to be here for players wich doensnt have game installed. But for who have it, theres no point to reinstall whole game just for one patch.

7 Jun 17

Reply #10

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

As I've said I offer both options. Manually updating & full version download update. Expansion is better. Less missions. Less bugs on basic situation. Purchase files I did when all missions where put in. With firestorm your right but it wasn't different in original version with the difference you couldn't skill up 80% of all pilots. Therefore later pilots have better basic skills. Only way to use two pilots similar who are same is when one is expansion version maybe. Dunno strange.

7 Jun 17

Reply #11

Offline Splina

• Rookie

No, in original game Firestorm could grow to 100% on all skills. I skilled him multiple times in past...just like all others with good basic skills.

12 Jun 17

Reply #12

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Well you got him mission 04/01 - means he has 11 missions to play in original version. In my version you get him mission 5/13? - and has only half of it, that`s right. But keep in mind that last mission of actual campaigns won´t be last missions atleast. Thats one reason for you to be excited for what missions will follow when campaign is working 100% and will be finally extended with MY missions - the missions before just the story what happened right now and was made by others. I have a clear vision how i will extend the story. Have a look here.
I took firestorm out of mission 04-01 in darkest hours and replaced him with magic. Otherwise firestorm would join in two missions... (what would cause the next double warrior crash).

Latest News

Now the last process before next update has begun: The purchase - balance & bugfix patch. Next Friday version 3.0 will be ready to be introduced. At the moment these files get updatet:

(MCG Darkest Hours 01_PuWa.fst {compressed}) // data\missions\when extracted files are here)
soloipurchase.fit, solopurchase.fit, purchase.fit
purchase00.fit, purchase01.fit, purchase02.fit, purchase03.fit, purchase04.fit
purchase05.fit, purchase06.fit, purchase07.fit, purchase08.fit, purchase09.fit
purchase10.fit, purchase11.fit, purchase12.fit, purchase13.fit, purchase14.fit
purchase15.fit, purchase16.fit, purchase17.fit, purchase18.fit, purchase19.fit
purchase20.fit, purchase21.fit, purchase22.fit, purchase23.fit, purchase24.fit
purchase25.fit, purchase26.fit, purchase27.fit, purchase28.fit, purchase29.fit
purchase30.fit, purchase31.fit, purchase32.fit, purchase33.fit, purchase37.fit
purchase38.fit, purchase39.fit, purchase40.fit, purchase41.fit, purchase42.fit
purchase43.fit, purchase44.fit, purchase45.fit, purchase46.fit, purchase47.fit
purchase48.fit, purchase49.fit, purchase50.fit, purchase51.fit, purchase52.fit
purchase53.fit, purchase54.fit, purchase55.fit, purchase56.fit, purchase57.fit
purchase58.fit, purchase59.fit, purchase60.fit, purchase61.fit, purchase62.fit
purchase63.fit, purchase64.fit, purchase65.fit, purchase66.fit, purchase67.fit
purchase68.fit, purchase69.fit, purchase70.fit, purchase71.fit, purchase72.fit
purchase73.fit, purchase74.fit, purchase75.fit, purchase76.fit, purchase77.fit
purchase78.fit, purchase79.fit, purchase80.fit, purchase81.fit, purchase82.fit
purchase83.fit, purchase84.fit, purchase85.fit, purchase86.fit, purchase87.fit
purchase88.fit, purchase89.fit, purchase90.fit, purchase91.fit

_________
Green: Ready to be introduced into full version. When these files are done for 2.0d users a massive single player campaign update will finish the basic major campaign merge including 100% fine working original missions in BOTH campaigns.
Red: Work in progress. These files get some final bugfixes and balance.

LATEST Update INFO

Purchase files got updated. These changes i have made
- balancing purchases for equipment
- balancing purchases for mechs
- balancing purchases for vechicles
- balancing purchases for warriors
- warrior used twice (double-warrior-bug) - fixed
- reduced total number of buyable items by half
- for X-Ray & Exodus there will be no items added in logistics (story related)

Update v3.0 and new FULL VERSION DOWNLOAD 3.0 are prepared and ready to be introduced. (DONE). I will make a final walkthrough both campaign merges (Original&Expansion) this week and when no big issues i will introduce new version next friday,  06/16/2017. (DONE)
Next friday "MCG Darkest Hours" will be finally - IT IS  the full working full version it should have been in the beginning. Several problems needed to be solved and creating this version took me beyong anything other people have released for this game so far - offering the biggest ingame content ever made for a Mech Commmander RTS game. This puts MechCommander on eye level with Command&Conquer Series or other succesful RTS games cause all game features offering many options for players. It doesn´t matter if player wants to play single-player campaigns, solo-missions for free play or multi-player functions with gameranger in order to compete warmongers all over the globe... - MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours makes it possible. No download of basic version and *.iso file anymore. All game content is summonized in a Main game folder for instant playing without updating or patching anything up.
(The actual version of Darkest Hours is still 2.0d - works but have issues with original missions in campaign merge. Parts of v3.0 update are already available as smaller updates. The complete v3.0 Update will be end of next week. (DONE)

Have fun playing, community.

Regards RizZen

Latest Version 3.0
This update upgrades all 2.0d gameversions to latest standing of development. Only with v3.0 all original missions will work like in Vanilla game version. 2.0d contains older versions of recreated missions and some are only dummies with no enemies on map or mad A.I. Version 3.0 includes updatet *.fst Mission files for all recreated missions. These files contain 100% of the original mission *.abl codes - for players: They work absolutely fine!!!

Contains v3.0 will come out for downloading on friday.(DONE)

17 Jun 17

Reply #13

Offline Splina

• Rookie

new bugs for v3.0

OP.1 MIS. 7  imposible to finish.
Crate group 1 inexistent.

OP.2 MIS.17  double pilot : Scarab
i think it was same in older versions but i forgot to mention him :)

17 Jun 17

Reply #14

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Op1Mis07 is no bug. Crate group is existent like it was before. On Op1 Mis7 I recommend searching on map for ALL crates. There are two crates on islands (south & east) you need both to finish mission successful.
Op2Mis17 is no bug was my mistake, too. There is no pilot twice anymore. Maybe you loaded a savegame? If yes... - it explains that you may have scarab already before this mission. With new files not possible cause scarab isn't available in shop before.

These 14 warriors (original campaign) are only available on missions and should not be in purchase logistics before missions anymore on games started with v3.0:
01. Op1Mis03 - Mystique
02. Op1Mis10 - Mantis
03. Op1Mis15 - Rebel
---
04. Op2Mis01 - Falcon
05. Op2Mis17 - Scarab -Problem solved-
---
06. Op3Mis07 - Thunder
-Problem solved-
07. Op3Mis15 - Dragon -Problem solved-
---
08. Op4Mis01 - Magic
09. Op4Mis09 - Burnout
10. Op4Mis11 - Hitman
11. Op4Mis15 - Countess
12. Op4Mis16 - Outlaw
13. Op4Mis17 - Blaze
---
14. Op5Mis13 - Firestorm
Update changes are based on this list, not the bug report you gave above. As I already explained these where known bugs caused by introducing process of original missions that is finally passed now. List is showing order you get them during campaign. For exact mission take a look into warrior list. -DONE (v3.0)-
Remember me saying that purchase changes on savegamefiles only work for missions you didn't finished yet? When you bought scarab on version 2.0d before Op2Mis17 this bug may happen. If you started game on v3.0 there is no pilot warrior bug anymore. Keep this in mind.

Have fun, RizZ