Author Topic:  Civil War Mech & Tech Theorycrafting  (Read 4574 times)

18 Mar 17

Read 4574 times

Offline GMan129

• Writer
  • Veteran

It's finally here! With the timeline skip, we'll be looking at 4 new fan favorite mechs as well as oodles of new tech to shake up the battlefield (and balance), hopefully for the better. We'll see.

First up, we have the Uziel. This is one of the mechs that really sticks in my memory from the MW4 days; with a unique shape to it and some cool loadouts, even stock. I love the style for it in this game; it was one of the better-designed mechs in MW4 (even the original art for it is pretty good) and it seems that Alex has stayed pretty close to that design, which pleases me. The biggest gripe I have with this mech (which isn't much of a complaint, more of a pet peeve) is its Hero mech: the Belial. Now, it took a reddit thread to jog my memory of why that sounded so familiar, but it's because the mech was introduced in MechAssault as an OP (iirc) version of the Uziel with a Gauss Rifle in each arm. I do think it's cool for PGI to pay it some homage, and copying that build over to MWO would have been a bit absurd (even with Light Gauss it'll go slow and have very little armor), but I really wish that they'd have gone all-out with it.

Next is the Annihilator. This mech is known for two things: tying the Urbanmech for the slowest thing on the battlefield, and carrying a ridiculous amount of firepower. The best way to describe this thing is as the Inner Sphere Dire Wolf; it has the same maximum engine, very similar hardpoints, and probably very similar builds as well. The mech's design is really quite odd, but again, it's in a way that's faithful to the original. Even more than the Cyclops, the shape of this mech's neck and head conjure images of the Geth from Mass Effect, lending a suitably alien aesthetic to this mech. Still, I would love to see it without its hands waving in the air.

The first clan mech of the pack is the Cougar. While I have appreciated this mech a great deal in other games, and I think it'll be a real hoot in MW5, I gotta say I'm a disappointed in it here. Weighing in at 35 tons and running at 87.1 KPH after speed tweak, it is the single slowest light mech in the game, and it's even slower than most mediums. Needless to say, I have very low expectations for this mech, but it does have roughly 18.5 tons of pod space. So who knows, maybe it'll be a half-decent weapon boat.

Finally, we have the Mad Cat MK II. Easily one of my own all-time favorites, I cannot wait to play this thing. The design is great; it has a very IIC approach of keeping similar features but using new geometry, and I am in love with the arms. As with the Uziel, it seems to stick pretty closely to existing art for the mech, and that's not a bad thing at all. The mech appears to have pretty good hitboxes (assuming that the missile pods go away when you don't have missiles), lots of hardpoints, relatively high mounts (dem arms), and on top of all that, it's a nomnimech (as in, not an omnimech). So it'll have lots of options for customization. I'm worried that its builds will be too symmetrical and its arms too wide, but it still looks pretty good.

Perhaps more important than all of these new mechs is the new techs! Seriously, all of the new options have the potential to completely change the meta. I wanted to do a short list of all the bits I'm excited about, but really the list of things I'm not particularly excited about would be way shorter (Stealth Armor, LAMS, IS ER lasers, IS Streaks, LMGs, LAPs, and LTAG). Not to say they won't be good, they just don't tickle me yet.

As such, I'm going to be going over builds as usual, but with an emphasis on making the most of the new technology. I'm also saying that each point of Light Ferro weighs .0296 tons, which seems to line up with the Belial build. But without further ado, let's take a closer look.

Uziel

Not sure if it'll be better than the existing mediums, but it's fun to think about its futuretech possibilities.

UZL-3S

• Endo, Light Ferro (stripped arms, head at 14, max elsewhere), XL265 (92.3 KPH), 5 JJs
  • 2x Heavy PPC
  • 13 DHS
It'll probably be too hot to be legit, but if so you can cut a few JJs for a larger engine and extra heatsink.

UZL-2S

• Endo, Ferro (stripped arms, legs at 34, head at 4, max elsewhere), XL255 (88.8 KPH), 1 JJ
  • 2x Light Gauss with 4 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS
The armor's too low, there's not enough ammo, and I'd prefer a couple more jumpjets, but if the Light Gauss is good enough...

UZL-2S [part 2]

• Endo, Ferro (stripped arms, legs at 40, head at 8, side torso at 15, max elsewhere), STD250 (87.1 KPH), 2 JJs
  • Heavy Gauss with 4 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS
Who needs a shield side when you're just a super-sized Hollander?

UZL-3P

• Endo, Ferro (legs at 43, head at 12, max elsewhere), XL310 (108 KPH), 4 JJs
  • 2x Snub-Nose PPC
  • 3x Heavy MG with 1 ton of ammo
  • 13 DHS
If HMGs are any good, this could be an interesting way to approach them.

UZL-5P

• Endo, Light Ferro (stripped arms, head at 14, max elsewhere), XL225 (78.4 KPH)
  • 2x MRM/40 with 4.5 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS
Too hot, too slow, no JJs, and not enough ammo, but goddamn it's got 2 MRM/40s.

UZL-6P

• Endo, Standard Armor (head at 16, max elsewhere), XL325 (113.2 KPH), 4 JJs
  • 6x ER Medium Laser
  • 19 DHS, TC1
Super simple, but I think it might be pretty good. We'll see what the heat's like; could be that this build runs "too cool", and it could fit better on a smaller mech.

Belial

• Endo, Standard Armor (head at 16, max elsewhere), XL300 (104.5 KPH), 3 JJs
  • 4x Light PPC
  • 18 DHS
I'm feeling enthusiastic about this one. The question is, will it be better than putting 2 ER PPCs on any of the variants with energy side torsos.

Annihilator

So much weight...so much to work with...

ANH-2A

• Endo, Standard Armor (arms at 45, legs at 72, max elsewhere), STD300 (52.2 KPH)
  • 4x Rotary AC/5 with 11 tons of ammo
  • 12 DHS
Yeah, this mech might end up with the highest DPS in the game. Depending on how RACs work out, of course.

ANH-1A

• Endo, Light Ferro (legs at 56, head at 17, max elsewhere), XL300 (52.2 KPH)
  • 4x AC/10 with 8 tons of ammo
  • 12 DHS
This one's pretty much just a stock+ loadout. Kind of a personal fantasy to run 4 AC/10s in a mech, so I'm happy that's gonna happen. Obviously, the XL's gonna be a real bad idea.

ANH-1E

• Standard Structure, Standard Armor (legs at 81, max elsewhere), STD300 (52.2 KPH)
  • 4x Snub-Nose PPC
  • 3x Light PPC
  • 22 DHS, TC1
I'm pretty sure that Light PPCs will have a ghost heat cap of 4, but I doubt Snub-Noses will get any more than 2. Could be fun if you don't mind shooting in 3 separate groups.

ANH-1X

• Endo, Standard Armor (arms at 45, legs at 72, max elsewhere), STD300 (52.2 KPH)
  • 2x Heavy Gauss with 10 tons of ammo
  • Snub-Nose PPC
  • 10 DHS, TC1
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ANH-1P

• Standard Structure, Light Ferro (arms at 36, legs at 62, max elsewhere), STD300 (52.2 KPH)
  • 4x Heavy PPC
  • 20 DHS
Yeah you know you like that.

Mean Baby

• Endo, Armor (arms at 33, legs at 52, max elsewhere), STD300 (52.2 KPH)
  • 2x MRM/40 and 2x MRM/30 with 8 tons of ammo
  • 13 DHS
I'm droolin' just a little bit.

Cougar

Making builds for this mech felt like eating my vegetables as a kid. Or as an adult.

New Lasers

• Endo, Ferro (head at 10, max elsewhere), XL175 (87.1 KPH), 2 JJs
  • 2x Heavy Large Laser
  • 3x Micro Pulse Laser
  • 16 DHS, TC2
I liked the feel of Heavy Large Lasers in other games, we'll see if they're any good here.

Gauss

• Endo, Ferro (head at 10, max elsewhere), XL175 (87.1 KPH), 2 JJs
  • Gauss Rifle with 3.5 tons of ammo
  • 4x ER Micro Laser
  • 11 DHS, TC2
Meh.

ATMs

• Endo, Ferro (one arm stripped, head at 15, max elsewhere), XL175 (87.1 KPH), 2 JJs
  • 2x ATM/9 with 7 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS, ECM
Could be interesting if ATMs are any good. Basically the equivalent of either 2 LRM10s or 3 SRM6s.

Mad Cat MK II

Clans don't get as many fun toys as IS, but let's see what this kitty can do.

MCII-1

• Endo, Standard Armor (61 per leg, max elsewhere), XL360 (69.7 KPH), 2 JJs
  • 4x Heavy Large Laser
  • 2x ATM/9 with 4.5 tons of ammo
  • 20 DHS, TC1
Don't worry, this was the least interesting build.

MCII-2

• Endo, Ferro (65/66 per leg, max elsewhere), XL370 (71.6 KPH), 1 JJ
  • 2x LB 20-X AC with 5 tons of ammo
  • 4x SRM6 with 5 tons of ammo
  • 14 DHS
This is pretty hot, but it looks like a pretty goddamn sick brawler. Like the Scorch, but better.

MCII-4

• Endo, Ferro (69 per leg, max elsewhere), XL360 (69.7 KPH), 1 JJ
  • 4x ATM/12 with 7 tons of ammo
  • 4x Heavy Medium Laser
  • 15 DHS, BAP
If PGI sticks with TT values, 4 ATM/12s is like 12 SRM6s when fired on HE mode. I feel like PGI's gonna nerf that. I also feel like maybe I should just go purely for ATMs...

MCII-A

• Endo, Armor (69 per leg, max elsewhere), XL375 (72.6 KPH), 1 JJ
  • 2x ATM/12 with 5 tons of ammo
  • 2x Heavy Large Laser
  • 3x Heavy Medium Laser
  • 20 DHS
This one might actually be worse than the first variant. The CT ballistic seems a bit pointless.

MCII-B

• Endo, Ferro (56 per leg, max elsewhere), XL360 (69.7 KPH), 2 JJs
  • 4x UAC/5 with 10.5 tons of ammo
  • 2x Heavy Medium Laser
  • 14 DHS
All that dakka comin' out of them arms.

MCII-B

• Endo, Ferro (65/66 per leg, max elsewhere), XL335 (64.8 KPH), 2 JJs
  • 2x Gauss with 4.5 tons of ammo
  • 2x ER PPC
  • 17 DHS
Yeah, I know, it's not new at all. But it could be OP. We'll see how the hitboxes and weapon locations work out.

Deathstrike

• Endo, Ferro (65/66 per leg, max elsewhere), XL375 (72.6 KPH), 2 JJs
  • 2x Gauss with 5 tons of ammo
  • 6x Heavy Medium Laser
  • 16 DHS
High damage, high heat Gauss Vomit.

And All the Rest

I wanted to include a few other mechs that struck me as being potentially awesome with the new tech.

LCT-1V

• Endo, Ferro (head at 5, max elsewhere), XL190 (165.4 KPH)
  • 4x Heavy MG with 2.5 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS
Again, maybe the HMG sucks, but if not this could be cool.

SHD-2H

• Endo, Ferro (stripped arms, legs at 48, head at 16, RT at 15, max elsewhere), STD270 (85.5 KPH), 3 JJs
  • Heavy Gauss with 5 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS
I just love that high mount and the 25% Ballistic Cooldown quirk.

MAL-1P, MAL-MX90, or Sleipnir

• Endo, Armor (legs at 62, arms at 3, max elsewhere), STD315 (61 KPH)
  • 2x Heavy Gauss with 8 tons of ammo
  • 10 DHS
These guys look like the best option for a straight-up double Heavy Gauss build. And by best, I mean pretty much only.

Predictions

The Mad Cat MK II is gonna be one of the greats, the Uziel will be pretty good, and the Annihilator will be funny as hell (seriously, I didn't even scratch the surface of the possible silliness). Let's not talk about the Cougar.

I have no idea how the tech is going to be, though, since we don't have any of the actual stats. The Inner Sphere gets a lot more cool stuff than Clans, though, so that could do some interesting things to the balance of the game (I'm already hyped on Light Ferro).

GMan129 is an officer of the Steel Jaguar competitive team, he is the owner of and writer for MetaMechs, and he does some writing for NGNG as well. He has been playing MechWarrior Online since the early days of closed beta, and has spent far too much time and money on this crap. If you're interested in supporting his self-destruction, consider checking out his Patreon!
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 17 by Seth »