Author Topic:  MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours v3.0 - Bug Reports & Solutions  (Read 5106 times)

24 Aug 17

Reply #60

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

Hi. Just downloader 3.0 version of your mode today. Looks like good one. Have a problem with MCX1920x1080.exe. Image running in the left corner, like windowed in left corner of the screen in ~ 1/4 of it. Same with all other resolutions, expect MCX1024x768.exe. Any ideas how to fix it? Tried in "Compatibility" place a check it "Disable fullscreen optimizations" - doesn't help...

Screen - https://hkar.ru/QwMp

Using Windows 10 x64. Also if I uncheck "Compatibility" after check it looks smaller then before...
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 17 by UnknDoomer »
You do not need any talent to go between the impossible... (c) The Bridge

25 Aug 17

Reply #61

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4429.msg25876#msg25876

Only ingame resolution is full screen, menu design was done for 640x480 only. There are no possibilities to make menu resolution optional.

25 Aug 17

Reply #62

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

https://hkar.ru/Qx1k

So no ways to fix this? In custom resolutions only MCX640x480.exe runs on fullscreen + MCXOriginal.exe runs on it (1024x768 I suppose), but here I have another problem - mouse lag. When I'm trying to move it on map, at black areas. Problematic to play with... MCX1920x1080.exe with zoom (+) looks fine, but menu is too small...

25 Aug 17

Reply #63

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Resolutions work different on different systems. I have 1900x1050 running on AMD & Intel processors with win64 bit running nearly without any issues (cut sides are there).

No, menu is 640x480 - if you start game internal resolutions developers fixed problem by using the chosen resolution only ingame - there are only existing pictures in 640x480 resolution  - that´s why it is placed top left when you choose edited exe files. There obviously exists no way right now to solve this im sry. It depends on game is old... only way to enlarge menu resolution is by creating bigger background images for whole menus. When you create bigger pictures they will be cut off in lower resolutions - or in worst case game crashes with display error. So there is - even IF - no easy way to do this. Same counts for new mechs.

Now i celebrate my birthday. Lets see what i can do until v4.0 update in december.

25 Aug 17

Reply #64

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

Okey, that it's probably good idea for me to freeze progress before version 4.0... May be you will find a way for 1980x1080.

Another question. Any ideas why in 640x480 / 1024 x 768 lags for mouse cursor on maps proceeds? By this reason I can't use them mostly.

26 Aug 17

Reply #65

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

The hud display with its radar screen has same problem. It can handle only 4 resolutions. The resolutions for radar and heads up display are from 640x480 to ~1280x1000, the green box which shows the actual map window can't be stretched over it's limits without showing little error in heads up. But it works without crashing.
Well I don't think that I can fix all resolution errors with v4.0 updates. The problem is that the system who runs MechCommander needs certain settings for making MCG work with no/low issues.
For example mouse cursor problems. When you play windowed mode it happens - full screen works fine. When mouse lags in spite of full screen and you got frame rate problems you need to modify mouse or graphic settings for example.
When you are using mouse speed optimization by system it can cause issues with MCG in-game functions. So turn of any mouse enhancing settings using system default options with low graphic settings. A background desktop picture may also cause problems with MCG internal color palettes. Using blank desktop background can provide problems with palette issues in-game. Also game should be played with 16, better 8bit color palette, best is 256 colors. Graphic settings should also be efficiency based default, frame rate can be optimized by turning of vertical synchronisation in graphic settings.
Next thing that cause problems with MCG are open browser windows, especially flash using websites cause problems with MCG. So close all browser apps before using MCG.
Another problem are media player software, apps - listening mp3 music while playing MCG cause problems with media players like winamp or vlc media player. So turn off any interrupting programs before playing MCG.

When you do all of this I bet you can enjoy MCG right now without waiting for next update. v4.0 will be 80% a story update. All briefings will change. Physically all missions and campaigns are done and already playable there won't be changes of mission order or in-game actions anymore. In spite of bug solving - of course update will include many small mission updates to solve older bugs.
There is also the plan to add new missions to enlarge existing campaigns making them going on after regular campaign end. But all what will be added will happen in-game after the existing story we have right now.
Resolution problems, technical issues with lag or other things like that have to be solved 80% by players by optimizing their system settings for MechCommander. That what makes MCG a retro game. On some systems only downgrade graphic driver (using standard driver) helped solving graphic issues.
That is also reason why many people said that it would be easier to remake whole game in another engine like unity or unreal... - but that wouldn't be MCG anymore. At first I only showed people how to get game working on all platforms, later decided to evolve it by creating a version that contains  all stuff for game that was developed. The base of my work is STILL the old basic MechCommander, that won't change with any updates. You have always to keep in mind that MCG is old. And such old software needs some small changes on players systems from time to time. I just try to help to make it run on your systems. I'm no professional developer neither I can make much changes in source code that affect solutions for all people cause the language in which it was written has its limits. So primary the way to make game work is reading the first post of this thread and gimme all information about your systems. Not only pointing out the issues/errors. Before being able to help I need YOUR PERSONAL SYSTEM SETTINGS.

By the way: I just play 1.024x768 - 1.400x900 resolutions cause they have the best performance and cause low error counts. Some missions for example won't ever be possible to be played in 1980x1050 resolution cause display just crash. Using lower resolutions can solve this they may cause no errors - also cell passing errors on way points may solve crashes like above. THAT WONT CHANGE by updated on my side. Maybe another modder finds ways to optimize things but I'm 95% focused on in-game modding and evolving by using game content I collected past two decades.

Regards RizZ
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 17 by RizZen »

26 Aug 17

Reply #66

Offline tobik_pt

• Members
  • Rookie

Hi, first of all thanks a lot for this great "rebirth" of mechcommander!

I faced the same problems like user dashi112 as my game always crashes after Op2Mis13 of the expansion campaign.
After finishing the mission the game crashes when I click any menu or try to save the game myself.
There is no chance to advance to the next mission, which I would be very excited to play after trying it like 4 times.

I play on a Windows 7 x64 system on FullHD resolution and use the actual 3.0 version of the game.
When I come back to the mission planning screen for the next mission I notice, that all of my mechs are undamaged in the picture but the life bar is at minimum, which is very strange. Then, when clicking anything, the game crashes with the error in the attached text file.

Thank you very much for any clues!

« Last Edit: 26 Aug 17 by tobik_pt »

27 Aug 17

Reply #67

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

Resolutions from MCX1280x768 to MCX1920x1080 runs fine for me, but menu/mechbay/etc., expect battlefield, is moved to left, as I showed before.

MCX1024x768, MCX640x480, MCXOriginal runs in fullscreen, I'm not using windowed mode, but there I have mouse lags when trying to move in on blacks areas of the map by some reasons... that a problem. Putting resolution of the screen to same, 640x480, doesn't help here => can't play by normal way. I've played MCG many times before, but on older systems, never saw such mouse problems...

Browsers is turned off, also as Winamp/VLC, Windows 98/Me support is on, also as 8 bit (256 colors) mode. I'm using Windows 10 x64 and no any specific programs, mouse accelerators and etc.

One time I planned several edits/new campaign for one old game, strategy, Battle Isle 3 (1995). Still with some conf. in dosbox for a way to run it normally in 1980x1080 with black on the sides first, that without. It's supports only 320x240, 640x480 and +/- 800x600 by default. Still way was found.

Looks like MCG is much more specific in such stuff than most of older dosgames. That's strange...

27 Aug 17

Reply #68

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

640x480 looks fine for me in 16:9 monitor, but I need to deal with mouse lag on battlefield, mostly when trying to move cursor on black areas... By some reasons other resolutions, that have menu, mechbay and etc. in left corner doesn't have this problem...

Also tried mouse accelerator stuff - doesn't matter in any conf. of it. I'm using Cougar 530M mouse. So. It's resolution problem, I suppose.

Example. If I run MCX1440x900 and press (+) => I've same lag, as I have in 640x480. If just using 1440x900 without (+) => no lags. 1920x1080 with (+) works without lags also.

Also tried to run game on notebook for another test, same Windows 10 x64, but got this: "Error with application run 0xc0000022".
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 17 by UnknDoomer »

27 Aug 17

Reply #69

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

Found solution for 1920x1080.

1. Open MCG_Darkest_Hours_FULL_VERSION_v3.0\000_MCG_Darkest_Hours_FULL_VERSION_3.0\MCG Darkest Hours\PREFS.CFG.
2. Put "l Resolution=1" before FITend. Save.
3. No lags, battlefield looks better, no such smaller pixels (like in default MCX1920x1080), mostly fullscreen in menu, 3/4.

https://hkar.ru/Qyzt
https://hkar.ru/Qyzu

27 Aug 17

Reply #70

Offline UnknDoomer

• Members
  • Rookie

That is also reason why many people said that it would be easier to remake whole game in another engine like unity or unreal... - but that wouldn't be MCG anymore. At first I only showed people how to get game working on all platforms, later decided to evolve it by creating a version that contains  all stuff for game that was developed. The base of my work is STILL the old basic MechCommander, that won't change with any updates.

Right. Small community of Battle Isle, for example, made project, called ASC. Old graphics used in core, but, still, original in many things is better, than it. BlueByte was bougt by Ubisoft and they forgot about title, also before it was moved in 3D (Battle Isle 4), many things changed and lost by this way. It was different game. Not like MechCommander 2 with compare to first one, worse, but still.

Then one of old developers moved to kickstarted and made this http://store.steampowered.com/app/237470/Battle_Worlds_Kronos/. Same ideas, that was in original, but still it's worse than original at many points, starting from textures to music.

So. I think it's a good point to continue improvements in original / creating new campaing for it / make localizations for other languages and don't listen ideas for new engines. Because, probably, there no good examples of this way. Expect only one (way) with just few example at this day - remasters. Like Starcraft Remastered released few days ago. In South Korea there still much more people playing it, that Starcraft 2. Not so big difference, much things was improved, but we have what we have.

28 Aug 17

Reply #71

Offline tobik_pt

• Members
  • Rookie

Can you please help me with the bug of Op2Mis13,
Hilfe sehr erwünscht :D

Thanks!
Tobi

28 Aug 17

Reply #72

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

I already pointed out that all purchase files of Expansion-Campaign will be updatet and this purchase issue will be fixed - of course wasn´t intended and must be a small mistake i made myself while introducing last purchase update. At the moment im out of time, but as soon i can focus on it i will solve the problem im Operation 2, Mission 13. I made probably some mistakes with new purchase files.

In deutsch: Ich hab die Expansion als oberste Priorität aufm Zettel. Eigentlich läuft das Teil komplett bis zum letzten Level. Anscheinend hat mein compiler aber beim letzten Update wieder die alten purchases genommen und wies denn so is kann ich die neuen auch nicht mehr finden und muss sie daher neu schreiben. Da eh ein komplettes Purchaseupdate für die Expansion VOR dem regulären Updaterelease kommt, bring ich beides, Update & Fix in einem raus. Sry für die Wartezeit, bin halt nur ne Ein-Mann-Show hier.

MfG RizZ

29 Aug 17

Reply #73

Offline tobik_pt

• Members
  • Rookie

No pressure, you've done great thinks for the community, it's good to know you are still supporting the mod, whenever the fix may come.

Thanks a lot!

30 Aug 17

Reply #74

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

It will be before December. Maybe I can do a hotfix together with some other things I've already done in September.