Author Topic:  MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours v3.0 - Questions & Answers  (Read 995 times)

23 May 17

Read 995 times

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Question: What is MCG Darkest Hours about?
Answer: MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours is a full version colloquial containing all available standalone versions I could find. It includes
- Original ISO CD file -
+Original game folder pre-installed v1.8 with high resolution exe files for single player
+Multi-player mcx.exe for gameranger
+Original campaigns,
+Exodus&Turncoat,
+X-Ray&DSCRaid &
+Xenocide&BengalLancers
campaigns merged into two XXL Campaigns for single-player (Original&Expansion).
= MechCommander Darkest Hours v3.0!

Question: Will original missions 1-30 and expansion 1-12 be back and working 100% like before?
Answer: Yes. They have been recreated and their final update will be just a matter of workload and time. Maybe other modders participate in recreation process so they can be put back into existent game version ealier. - DONE - (100% with v3.0 release)

Question: Will i loose my savegames when original missions get updatet?
Answer: No, the way i introduced Full Version allows to update your campaign files without corrupting any savegames. You can go on from ever you have got so far after mission updates and new missions will show up ingame. The missions you have already past won´t show up... of course. Therefore start a new game then.

Question: I´ve heard that game can be played Multi-Player with gameranger, how to play online?
Answer: MCG Darkest Hours contains Multi-Player feature inside. I have integrated a full mixedtech patch and activated 64 Multi-Player scenarios to play with gameranger. In order to play multi-player games you need to visit gameranger website, download gameranger and install it. It wants you to register with mail. After installing and starting gameranger you can search for & choose Mech Commander Gold - Desperate Measures. Gameranger will ask for the path of MCX.exe - this file you can find in your full version game folder. It´s the one from 2009. All other Resolution.exe files just work for Single-Player (X) & Solo-Mission features - not Multi-Player. When gameranger got Game´s exe path (f.e. "C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1440x900.exe), you can open a gameroom for MechCommander Gold, inviting your friends and let them join you to start & play Multi-Player scenarios with possibilities no Mech Commander got ever before.

« Last Edit: 5 Jul 17 by RizZen »

27 May 17

Reply #1

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Arc_ from MCO:

Will the new mixtech patch include tanks and other vehicles? The current one only has Savannah and Pilum. Would be nice to try tank-only games on occasion.

Answer: That's one of my tasks yeah. If I can focus some hours today I will upload new mixedtech patch on weekend. - DONE -
Edit:
The Mixed Tech Patch got integrated into my mod with version 2.0c... - but because it didnt work cause the individual *.mpk files of all multiplayer maps where corrupted - they had to be redone before Mixed-Tech could be activated for Multi-Player feature. With 2.0d - includes 2.0a-c - the missing *.mpk file updates are completed for all 46 multiplayer missions i found to use yet. If there are missions missing some of you players may have in its game folders ur free to send them to me - the mission maps for multiplayer are *.fst files in game folder where exe files are. If you find a *.fst you can send it to me and i can introduce it as multiplayer mission into mod with integrated Mixed Tech Patch - New Mixed Tech with all vehicles to play and 20 new warriors (will be introduced when working without issues on MP). Full mixed tech including vehicles & full equipment are part of game since Version 2.0d.

Splina from MCO:
well..i tested a bit those new campaings and i found some problems :P

1st.
im not sure if you reworked original misions from campaing or just replaced them...because i didnt found more than 2 of them in new campaing.

2nd.
bugs on missions requirements. Shows different things on lobby and on battle.
For example in lobby a mission require to protect a convoy, then when i enter to play it i have new requirements, like to destroy something.

3rd.
incorect descriptions or wrong settings. On some misions descriptions shows you some good oponents...then when you enter in mision you meet only 1 vehicle as enemy...wtf? :))

4th and last for now..
Op3.Mis2. looks broken...i simply cant win it because i cant find what i must destroy :)
This again, is a mision what require to defend a convoy in lobby but in batle require 4 objectives including 2 same : to destroy...primary turret power?? Wtf is thtat..?
Looks like for one of them is a Factory...but for second is not binded. I destroyed all buildings and still cant finish :)

I hope this can help you to improve this game. Consider me a tester ;)

Pilots works fine, and mixing all those campaings looks good, except bugs from above.

And something what i would like to see...are both main campaings connected : Original and Expansion (with new misions included, of course). I mean when you finish Original campaing, Expansion start.

Answer:
Version 3.0 Development & Download Thread
Version 2.0d Development Thread
Version 1.0 Development Thread
MechCommander Gold Modders' Corner  (Read 23462 times)
You should carefully read this. All questions you have made are answered there and: on most points your right. I have completed much more missions than actually show up. But game has issues and so I needed to replace some of the original recreated missions with empty dummies cause they didn't worked like they should. This will be done on long time perspective (finished). Priority is first to get all backbone stuff working for first Cause its the fundamental basement on evolving MC in future.
By the way: Only the 30 original missions are not finished and the 12 expansion of original game. All other missions (custom made ones) from user campaigns & Original missions work like they do in their standalone builts. Advantage now is having all missions, maps, files, campaigns in ONE version as ONE big thing instead of having multiple different versions each only stuff for some hours fun. - This Version contains all for months - years when u are addicted enough.
You have 89 missions to play (59 are ALL 100% working fine) in original campaign...
& 41 in expansion (29 working 100%) in solo campaigns. Coming soon: 95 solo maps total to play free with mixed tech. (done)
And already available with latest mod update 2.0d (see starting post): Multi-Player feature with 46 activated MP scenarios
& integrated MixedTech-Patch to play on gameranger.

For further information read the threads I gave u above. There is much for you to understand then. For more information bout *.abl scripting download cmunsta campaign building guide part II and read the guide for abl scripting. What I can say on long time perspective: Original missions will be rebuilt 100% and completely remastered at the end (done). But for first Standalone & Multi-Player has priority now (done & done). The Campaigns are totally able to play through in spite of some naked missions. And in some years this wont be point of discussion anymore, cause original missions will be all back then.
The version I have created works so that its possible to update ur games with patches later to make it work without issues then. But as I've said... read. I dont make a finished version and leave you behind with bugs - i work on it until everything works, thats no promise or wish or somewhat - thats fact! (done ^^)
As I've said in links above, operation 3, 2 is broken and needs update like so.e others too. But u can finish when you have latest Version of Mod 2.0d.

Big Tex Atlas:
Make new weapons too!

Answer: Later.... very very later.... 7 weapons are ready to be introduced but there need some changes to be made and that will effort focus in abl scripting time. The weapons where made by some russian modders and introduced in their repulse mod some years ago. I seperated the files for testing only first. They only become part of mod when i figured out balance and problems they may cause. The existent gameplay isnt bad so i dont see the point introducing imbalanced new weapons or anything else like the weapon, vehicle or tonnage mod for example - these are all things i have in backhand to evolve game.
So many things are possible to do. I just dont know where should i begin cause all of the stuff i have collected for MCG is interesting and would be nice to have ingame. I think i will see how players and community develops and then introducing most wanted stuff.

Help i play original mission xx and have problem yy with it:

Answer for Single-Player Campaign Missions - issues:
Look here - for Original Campaign Issues
Look here - for Expansion Campaign Issues
All technical problems and bugs in new Version of MCG are solved now, campaigns working fine as they should. The links above referring you to Walk-Through-Overviews. When Users report problems with missions and it´s happening to many people i add information to related missions in these threads. Currently they not contain many walkthrough descriptions, but it will become complete one day and maybe when you stuck on a mission there IS already a solution described.
Have fun playing, that´s an order!
The way I worked out mod makes it possible that I can update and replace buggy missions by time without you loosing savegamefiles cause I introduced the updatet campaign master lists first. That way your savegames can be loaded after mission updates and you can enjoy the better missions not being forced to start new game after mission updates.

If you have downloaded the latest version 2.0d and still not being able to finish a campaign mission then contact me. I will have a deeper look then. But I played through both campaigns without any serious problems. Only real problem I mentioned are purchase files. Cause after introducing 30 original missions into existing campaign some pilots get available before u gain them in missions. Countess for example. You gain her in the later campaign but can buy her some missions before. Of u already have her as pilot and u start the mission where she joins team game will crash. If u sell countess before mission start u gain her back in mission and nothing will crash. If I remember right it's operation 4 somewhere... but this is what I will fix before standalone will be finished.

The purchase files are one reason for what the existing campaigns will stay like they are now. So in original campaign the first 89 missions will always be the ones I have worked out for now. In expansion campaign the first 42 missions will be always in that order you find them now. It was a very hard work to get such complex campaign files written. Cause extender and editor can't handle such large campaigns I needed to compile manually letter by letter and later reworking to make clean of bugs lasted very long. The last part are purchase files now to make them synchronized with the campaign you can play now. (done)Needless to say that it won't really necessary to use in-game shop for equipment or Mechs when you loot from battlefield. The many salvage containers you can get from all campaigns contain allot comprehensive weapons and the enemy Mechs are the ones you wanna salvage cause you fave many clan Mechs as enemies. Salvaging their Mechs from the battlefield and using salvaged weapons from wrecks or Storage's/containers on battlefield will make your team a deadly force.

Original: Operation 5, Final mission 89

New MechWarriors Artwork

Expansion Campaign: Operation 3, Mission 1 (mission 26 of 41)

Mission XX objectives not working or wrong not like displayed.

Problem solved - described processes below where succesfully implemented!
The problem with original missions 1-30 and original expansion 1-12 is that they couldn't be integrated in other campaigns. The reason is that the original missions where scripted 90%. Not editor or extender compatible. Reason two it doesn't work with original missions is that they all are stored in the same *.fst folder. So the game I have created only had user campaign missions (Xenocide, X-Ray, Exodus for original and turncoat, Bengal & dsc raid for expansion ) all completed and working 100% in it. So there is where 59 missions for original campaign. And 29 missions for expansion. Task is to have the largest campaigns ever in the end. And due to the fact many asked for original missions I had to find a solution to integrate them. This was the hardest part. All original missions needed to be recreated from 0 with editor. I had just naked map files. I have done everything what you can do to recreate these missions with editor and extender so far they technically allow. The capacities are low and the software crashes often, especially when you have complex mission objectives.
The source of original missions was extracted and download able from gamestand. This and cmunstas guides and some forum information of Modders and people trying same like me but suffering on it I've found. There was no suitable solution to find and so I had to develop my own recreation process with the things I have hoarded for MCG. There are 3 phases of recreation process:

1. Editor phase - unit placing, buildings & salvage, mission objectives and unit orders as far editor can do
2. Extender and Extractor work - salvaging and additional mission objectives and some deeper settings then editor can do, then compressing to usable dpk and extract to mission.fst file ur used to see (like multi-player maps)
3. *.abl scripting phase - extracting mission.fst and writing abl files needed to make missions as complex as origins has been

Green = 100% complete!

But since then you have to see the 30 original missions part of original campaign merge as training missions with gifts for players like full salvage containers.
I said months ago on NGNG that original missions won't be 100% like before when full version comes. Cause many waited so long I found a solution to give players profit of better version in spite of the fact that original missions not complete. This is a problem and I know it irritates you as player when some missions not being like expected (mission objective issues) - and I don't like it too, but it's a compromise letting you as player taking part in development process.
There are many missions already finished but they didn't work as they should. It is not possible to make a working train for example with editor. I tried many ways of getting train work but I need to abl script that manually otherwise mission will crash in-game. Therefore I replaced some mission objectives (it's just for a time that way). Important to me is: Are the missions playable (not suitable of course they are not when not 100% original I know) - but I need to know if they work (start, objectives, end, next log screen) - cause these are the files who are backbone for recreation process. I need to know what salvage works or if maybe some containers are forgotten who contain salvage. And keep in mind: not all missions are on low level of recreation, some could fit in very well with a good result compared to original. So at the moment left to say don't expect the original missions as serious at the moment they are not but that was never intended. It's just a technical game issue I would like to have them 100% too again but this is the most complicated part cause there have to be many file updated made.
Multi-player features and solo missions and some art work for new pilots (needed due to campaign length as the campaigns are largest ever exist) to give it more potential and making it a backbone for a evolved remastered version was first priority. Legend made clear to me that players need a full functional product to make it develop able for future processes and mission updates. This way everyone can help making original missions 100% perfect in the end. Only thing you need to do is to report missing salvages or wrong flagged buildings like sensors which don't work or turret linings. When all basic things work abl process can be finally finished.

So don't be mad with original missions, all other things work and after purchase file update for single-player and sol update for solo missions you can try out free all recreated missions to see how far the recreation process has been done for now. But this isn't the final mission, this is my next task. So I apologise if this is making you upset now but I never said something else, therefore please have a look on noguts no galaxy to understand the complexity of the whole remastering process. I hope you can still enjoy my work and by giving you the perspective that this will be done next I hope you have a blast playing through it now, using benefit of the originals to boost your mechbay for harder custom missions. Also for skilling warriors the additional missions should be helpful for you playing through these biggest campaigns ever.
By the way: the version I have created doesn't corrupt your savegamefiles when you will receive an update. You can play it like you can now then with the difference that all missions will be  are back 100% at the end. Maybe in December I think I have some solutions which could work.

ALL Original Campaign Mission issues & bugs, caused by introducing processes, got solved. They are work fine with Version 3.0!

12 Jun 17

Reply #2

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Question: What is the difference between MCG-Desperate Measures v1.8 and MCG-Darkest Hours v3.0?
Answer:
- 100% recreated and implemented Original/Expansion Missions in SP-Campaign merges
- bugfixes & rebalancing purchase files
- mixed-tech downgrade for Multi-Player (New Pilots don´t work in Multi-Player right now, took them out of MP feature)
- ArtWork - small changes
- Full Version v3.0 will also contain some new music files for ingame (will be released as single update soon too)

Question: Will this corrupt my current savegames?
Answer: No you can update 2.0d to 3.0 and just reload your savegame go on where you stopped to play. The following missions will automatically contain 100% recreated content for original missions then.

Question: Im using MCG Darkest Hours 2.0d - Full Version, how to update without reinstalling whole folder?
Answer: Download v3.0 Update and follow instructions of Readme file in order to find out how to copy and paste the needed files into correct sub directories. Is it been done once it is no problem to update your game folders. You don´t need to be computer expert just to replace some older files with new ones.

Question: How do I install Update v3.0?
Answer: I put detailed information & I instructions into all update zip files. The file is a readme named RizZme.txt.
For short:
Copy all files (not folders) in update folder
MCG Darkest Hours\
into Main game folder
MCG Darkest Hours\
Do same with files in subfolders:
data\missions
data\savegame
Once you override your game files with updated ones you can enjoy full potential of MCG with v3.0. Most of the files are fst files for main directory. They contain all mission-, purchase-, new warriors- & artwork-files.

Question: Why is full version not already v3.0?
Answer: NOW IT IS!
Full Version File is ~1,5GB big data file. It will take some time to upload it so Friday 16th will be release of full version 3.0. It´ll be the last version for some longer time now, because this is the first complete version with all missions and objectives working like original version 100% first time. This was seen as impossible by many people. For nearly two decades several Modders tried to do what I have FINISHED now in four months. And all of them where right. It is a nightmare for Modders. You got no working GUI, a very limited editor and extracted game files but not put into correct sub folders so game crashes often when you don't know what files have to be where - that was the nut to be cracked. Most of the game files are written in simple text files and lists. To understand how it all works together and what happens when players in-game do act - wasn't easy. All in all I didn't counted in detail but I worked on more than 1.000 files to bring MCG to the next level. Workload in hours i can´t count anymore ^^. MCG darkest hours v3.0 is a fusion of all existing game versions I found or got presented by MCG fans. It contains these game versions enhanced and remastered as a one:[/i]

- MCG Desperate Measures Original 1.8
- MCG Xenocide & Bengal user made campaigns
- MCG Exodus & Turncoat user made campaigns
- MCG X-Ray & DSC Raid user made campaigns
- MCG Online Multi-Player mixed tech patch as extended version containing vehicles and all equipment for multi-player & 64 Multi-Player Maps (original & some user made ones)
= altogether is v3.0 Darkest Hours now.

To play game in Single-Player-Mode (two Campaigns, 89 + 41 = 130 missions total) or Solo-Missions (95 missions) start game with MCX"Resolution".EXE files after mounting games ISO file.

SP - Single-Player *.exe files:
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX640x480.exe(No-CD-Exe - only for testing)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1024x768.exe (1024x768 resolution)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1280x768.exe (1280x768 resolution - 4:3 Monitors)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1280x1024.exe (1280x1024 resolution - Widescreen)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1400x900.exe (1400x900 resolution)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1600x900.exe (1600x900 resolution)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCX1920x1080.exe (1920x1080 resolution - HD)
C:\Games\MCG Darkest Hours\MCXOriginal.exe (640x480 resolution)

Question: I have read that MechCommander can be played ONLINE, but when i use Ingame-MP-Functions nothing works, how can i start a Multi-Player game?
Answer: To play game in Multi-Player Mode visit gameranger.com and install gameranger. Start gameranger and search for mechcommander gold desperate measures. Give gameranger path to MCG Darkest Hours\MCX.exe. When you mount ISO before there will be no errors or not mount cause gameranger loads ISO automatically from main game folder (Cause sometimes errors). For multi-player only this exe file with a pre-set resolution of 1024x768 works. To change multi-player resolution you need to make changes in preferences.cfg in main folder.
When gameranger got MCX.exe path you can open game room for MCG and compete with your friends. Gameranger works for many other old games too. It solves problems with missing IPX/SPX web protocols and is a serious alternative for missing gaming zones from the past. When you play MechCommander on gameranger sometimes people get error-warning messages from gameranger that there is a problem with your router - just ignore that and skip message to see if it really doesn´t work. When i skip this message i can open / join game rooms and chatting - playing in spite of the error-warning. If it really doesn´t work don´t skip this message next time and try the solutions gameranger offers first. If it doesn´t help your free to ask for support i guess there will be found someone who can help you with that here.
So have fun playing Multi-Player MechCommander again, like in old MSZone times.

30 Aug 17

Reply #3

Offline Torchhammer

• Members
  • Rookie

Hi,
I am new here so i do not know if this question belongs here.
I was wondering if anybody knows if the MC Editor works cause i can not get it to run it starts and shows me the loading Screen for it but then it stops and that is all no error message just nothing.
If anybody can answer me this and let me know if there is a working version of the Misson editor that would be really a big help. Thank you in advance for any reply.

I really remember that I enjoyed making Missons for this game when i was younger :).

31 Aug 17

Reply #4

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Editor only works on my windows 98 se system. Windows xp and above suck on it.

31 Aug 17

Reply #5

Offline Torchhammer

• Members
  • Rookie

Editor only works on my windows 98 se system. Windows xp and above suck on it.
Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
So can i emulate 98 using virtual box or do i need a W98 Partition to make it work?
Also i read that due to missing .dll files which are only created with a working installation process that the Editor wont work can those .dll be moved from a working file to a non working file in order to make the editor work so manually inserting these files in the right path.

31 Aug 17

Reply #6

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

No emulator, no dos box. I have a real Pentium II with 233mhz, 20 years old. Best performance.

Sure you can emulate, and sure there are ways to copy drivers manually to right places on newer systems to make it work.

But saving a mission, saving a dpk and compiling it to fst is only possible without bigger issues by using a REAL old system with installed windows 98 se... all other ways lead editor to crash or serious performance issues. No way to work out missions... when you place some trees may work... but creating real competing stuff won't work. It will just crash before you can save and finish it.

31 Aug 17

Reply #7

Offline Torchhammer

• Members
  • Rookie

No emulator, no dos box. I have a real Pentium II with 233mhz, 20 years old. Best performance.

Sure you can emulate, and sure there are ways to copy drivers manually to right places on newer systems to make it work.

But saving a mission, saving a dpk and compiling it to fst is only possible without bigger issues by using a REAL old system with installed windows 98 se... all other ways lead editor to crash or serious performance issues. No way to work out missions... when you place some trees may work... but creating real competing stuff won't work. It will just crash before you can save and finish it.
Ok so i need a partiton or an old PC with win98 to make it work thank you for all your answers.
I will see if i can get my old PC to run and check if i can find my old W98. :)

1 Sep 17

Reply #8

Offline RizZen

• Veteran

Windows 98 se install cd/iso you can download for free somewhere in the internet, just google. I later bought two original CD from Amazon but my installation is download from internet I burned on image.